Chapter 71

After much debate, Will and I finally convinced Luke that the only way to get out of this nightmare was to get to the Doors of Death, kill all the monsters inside the elevator, and decide what to do once we were back in the mortal world.

"News flash," Luke said, "monsters can smell demigods, and we're not exactly children of Iris if you're catching my drift."

"I'll take care of that," I said, fishing through my bag, my hand closing around the extra charms I carried with me everywhere. I handed both boys their stars, watching as they threaded them onto their Camp Half-Blood necklaces, hidden by the end of summer beads. "They dampen your scent."

"Are you wearing one?" Will asked, pointing to my bracelet.

"Even if I was, it wouldn't work on me," I said. "They only work on demigods. That being said, if things go horribly wrong, you'll get into the elevator and leave me here."

"What, Andy-?!" they protested, but I cut across them, saying, "If something happened to me, I'll reform – you won't. I can't lose you. I'm not doing this to be a hero but because I'm selfish, and I want you both to live and get back to the mortal world. Understand?"

"Andromeda Lilliana Collins, I refuse-"

"Please don't argue with me about this, Luke." I sheathed my knives at my waist, freeing my hands. Then I cupped Luke's face in my hands, gently tracing his cheekbones with my thumbs and taking in the feeling of him being here, alive, and free from Tartarus at last. I pulled his face closer to mine, closing the distance between our lips and savoring the familiar pressure of his lips of mine, of the way he tasted of salt and blood. Life's too short to not enjoy little pleasures like kissing your boyfriend. "I care about you, Lucas Oliver Castellan, and I want you to get out of here, even if it means leaving me behind. I'll be okay, I promise."

"But what about me?" Luke clutched my hands in his own. "I won't be okay knowing that I left you down here to save my own skin."

"Wow, I feel so loved," Will retorted, rolling his eyes.

Luke ignored him and continued. "I won't be okay if something happened to you. I love you too much for that."

"Well, we'll all die down here if we don't start moving soon," Will said. He pointed towards the cliff overlooking the River Acheron, where masses of shadows were starting to grow restless. "They don't look too friendly, and I seriously doubt a spartoi's femur would do much damage against the children of Night."

"You're right, Will." I unsheathed my knives again, adjusting my grip on their hilts. "Let's go before we become someone's breakfast."

0o0o

Despite being able to see the Doors of Death looming in the distance, it wasn't a hop, skip, and a jump away, taking us hours to even get what might've been halfway between the Mansion of Night and the Doors.

Personally, I was doing fine physically, Salina's energy having given me enough strength to keep moving despite any pain or discomfort I might've been in. Screw the fact that every bone in my body ached, that every muscle trembled from overexertion – the only thing stopping me now was death. However, Luke and Will were still mortals, so we had to stop occasionally for food, water, and rest. As far as rest went, I'd sling one of the boys across my shoulders in a fireman's carry and let them sleep there while I kept the conversation going with the other, not wasting time in that way.

Right now, Will hung limply over my shoulders, snoring softly as Luke and I continued walking, our feet aching as the terrain underfoot transformed from uncomfortable to damn near impossible to walk on. I swear, I've almost stepped in a pothole at least seven different times and nearly sprained my ankles at least fifteen times by now. My knee didn't appreciate the rough terrain either, a swear leaving my lips every other word, much to Luke's amusement.