Chapter 55

Sneha's heartbeat raced as she heard the concern in Viraj's mother's words. Was she really worried about her? Would she understand her fears? But most importantly, will she be able to help her?

"I...am enjoying, aunty." She jumped over the question with another fake smile.

"Your smile isn't reaching your eyes." Meena quickly added.

"I am not used to these kinds of parties, actually. And, I am meeting many new people today. So, I am a little scared, that's it." She added.

Meena sighed when she realized that Sneha wasn't going to share her feelings anytime soon.

"I remember you denying the marriage proposal when we came to your house. And, I asked Viraj about how you accepted it when you were so adamant that day. He said that your father convinced you about it." Meena said.

"Uhh...yes. Papa made me understand it." Sneha continued the lie.

"What did your father say?" Meena asked curiously.

"That he is from a very good and well-settled family. And that I'd be...happy." She answered.

Meena nodded once before continuing.

"Sneha, I know...what my son did with you in Goa wasn't right at all. I did scold him about it later. And I know whatever I'd say on his behalf would be partial. But, I just wanted to let you know that, Viraj has had a...stressful childhood. Due to that, he has always had difficulty expressing his emotions and feelings correctly...as normal people do. He acts on impulse and avoids getting emotionally attached to anyone. With time, he has developed this stubbornness to get whatever he desires. I have seen the change in him because that was not how he was as a kid. I understand that it is not right...but, as a mother, I can't help but feel for him."

'That is why you left him and had a child with another man?' Sneha thought internally. Just like an outsider, she was unaware of the complete truth about the Khatris.

Sneha nodded before replying.

"I...just had different expectations regarding my marriage and...husband." She mumbled and looked at the table cloth.

"And my son doesn't satisfy the expectation?" Meena asked politely.

Sneha looked in the direction of Viraj who was busy in a conversation with a person she faintly recognized as his very close friend.

He looked handsome, no doubt. From this site, he did look well-mannered too. His smile, which was a rare emotion on his face, suited him. But... the exterior wasn't something that one falls for. One falls in love with a person as a whole.

And, she knew that he wasn't the one for her or vice versa.

"No." She muttered with a downcast gaze and shook her head negatively.

"Will it be too much to ask for if I'd request you to at least give him a chance? I am sure he will prove it to you that he can be the man you desire." Meena almost begged.

Seeing the reluctance in her face, Meena continued quickly.

"This is the first time that he is trusting a woman in his life. I have never seen him stand with a girl in his life for more than required. I never thought he'd get voluntarily involved with a girl romantically. And, I definitely had never expected him to smile so much in a girl's mere presence. He seems happy! And, I only have you to thank." She added.

'Why is everyone concerned about his happiness only? What about me?" She wondered.

"You know a man in love can do absolutely anything for his beloved." Meena commented while giving a glance to Viraj.