017 | My Son

"We need to go back

"We need to go back. This is illegal. Nobody is home." I whispered as Jin slide the window open to reveal nothing but darkness from inside.

"That's why I have this." He brought the torch to my eye level and switched it on, hovering it over to the bookcases.

"Plus," He smirked, "When did you care so much about the law? Let's just get in and find more stuff and go home. How easy does that sound?"

Jin climbed through and eventually, it was my turn. I let out a sigh as I knew I had to do this. I couldn't let him do this alone.

Once I was in I followed the light towards the bookcases and skimmed through the titles as most were just for the kids until we stopped at the adult books on the next shelf.

"Bingo." I looked over and reached out for one of the books. An old worn down brown book was held in my grip as the dust covered the title. I gently blew off some of the dust and the bold writing was now noticeable.

'My Son.'

A sudden flashback flashed in my head the day before my fifteen birthday. I frowned as my fingers traced the writing and I immediately took the torch from Jin and sat down on one of the chairs.

I walked into my father's office as he was too busy to organise the gathering for the next day. His brown book always stayed with him. Without knowing, I walked into his office to see him with the pen in his hands busy writing away.

"What are you doing?" I asked. I walked over to have a peek as he chuckled, "Ah! Not yet little one, the time will come when you can read this. And when you do, I want you to know you are loved. You are the upcoming Alpha. Don't ever let anyone say you are different. Everyone is different in their own way. Don't listen to anyone. You are who you are, we couldn't be more proud of you." He smiled, staring down at me.

I closed my eyes, grabbing onto the side of the book as I forced myself to open them again and opened to the first page.

"What is this?" Jin questioned.

"It belonged to my dad. I don't know how it's still existing. The fire took everything away from me." I mumbled.

I watched Jin walk away, "Where are you going?"

Jin pointed towards the bookcases. "It looks personal. I'll give you a few minutes." With that, he was out of my sight and sat further away.

I looked back down and took a deep breath. Here it goes. After all this time, I finally had his book in my hands.

The first page was a photograph of me when I was younger in my mother's arms. Both of us staring at the camera as the picture on the next page was the three of us. I was older now, around five, with both parents at my side. I had my arms wrapped around my dad's legs as he smiled for the camera with his arms around my mum.

I felt myself exhale as I realised I was holding my breath, staring at them. It had been years since I last remembered their features. As I grew older, I forgot mostly what they looked like, my memory began to fade.

The next page started with my name, I peeled my eyes away from the photographs and focused on his writing.

Namjoon, my son.

You are now of age. How the years have gone by too fast. You are not my little boy anymore. You're going to be the one taking care of me soon. You have no idea how proud we are. The pack is depending on you and from what I have seen, you will be a great Alpha. They aren't ready for what is coming. You will be the greatest Alpha of all packs. Nobody will be like you. like us. We are special, we are unique. The day you find your mate, your life will change forever, as it did with mine. When I met your mother, I changed, just like you are now. The flames are a gift from your mother, they keep your enemies away. Nobody wants to fight the fire. Your mate will help you guide it, your flames are a part of you. No matter how much you try to hide it, you can't. That's why I'm writing this to you. Never tell anyone about your flames. It's too dangerous. Keep it between you and your mate. That's the first rule we came up with. Never. I made the mistake this morning, and it wasn't good. I want to finish this to say I love you so much, your mother loves you so much. If anything was to happen to us, run. Don't let them get you too. Find somewhere that you know you'll be safe. Please just get away from them. They will kill you as they are going to do to me.

Run.

I love you to the moon and back.

- Dad.

"Kill?" I re-read the last few sentences as nothing made sense. Nothing was clicking in my head as I lifted my head, "Jin?" I whispered.

Silence.

"Jin, this isn't funny." I stood up from the chair and walked over to where he was last sitting. I shined the torch on the table to see nothing but a red pen.

I heard a bang on the window and felt myself wanting to jump out of my skin. My heart was pounding looking at a handprint on the window.

Jin.

Jin quickly caught his breath and panicked. "We have to go, I smelt him, he's coming this way. Let's go!" He hurried me as I quickly jumped out of the window.

As I ran further away from the cottage I wanted to go back. The book. I left it on the table with the page wide open.

"Fuck!" I screamed, making Jin stop.

"What is it?"

"The book. I left it on the table with the page exposed. He'll know it was us." I stressed. I hit my hands against the tree, not knowing what to do next.

"It's fine." I cooled myself down, "We were home the entire night. I read what I needed to. Let's just get home so I can think."

"What did you read?" He asked.

"Enough to know that Leo and his pack don't belong here."