11

Throughout Sean's life, he could count on one hand how many times he'd been nervous. Most would fall in a timespan where he was nowhere over the age of twelve. But two of those times fell upon him when he met Kaycee Rice. The first had to be when they were first intimate, the day she and Bailey unexpectedly appeared at his home.

No matter how well he hid it, his heart was beating out of his chest when Kaycee went down him. He'd never been insecure about his body or his size for that matter, but at that moment, Sean panicked inside. He didn't want to scare her off, especially because of something as small, no pun intended, as the size of his penis.

The second time would be here: in the luxurious office of Kaycee's mother. Both felt like they were back in school, being called into the principal's office for inappropriate behavior. Sean had no idea why he felt guilty, but under the gaze of Laura Rice, he felt as though he needed to confess to all his sins.

"Kaycee, may I have a moment with Sean alone, please?" Her mother asked, smiling sweetly at the man on her couch. Kaycee looked at Sean, who was already glancing at her. She gave him a small smile of reassurance and stood confidently.

"Of course. I suppose I'll start my day of work anyway." She stated, giving Sean a peck on the cheek before leaving. He thought it was bold of her, but Kaycee didn't care. Nothing would stop her from her affections, even if the barrier was her temporarily strict mother.

"See you two later." She called out, shutting the door behind her. Once the door shut, Laura rose from her stance in front of her desk and sat on the couch where her daughter previously sat. "I'll keep this short since I'm sure you have things to do. So Sean, is it?"

"Yes, ma'am." He nodded, swallowing his nerves and finding the courage to look her in the eye.

"What were you doing here exactly? This isn't the first time I've seen you in my lobby." Laura asked, crossing her legs.

"I wanted to drop Kaycee off this morning. I try to have all the time I can with her." Sean replied, looking at her. Her posture was absolutely perfect and her eyes were fierce, somewhat like her daughter's but more awakened and experienced.

"Kaycee tells me you've been seeing each other for quite some time. How do you find time for my daughter with such a...bustling schedule?" Laura asked. She didn't want to scare the poor boy. She just wanted to understand his intentions with her daughter and on a much deeper scale than what she knew of Gabe. The last thing Laura would do is let someone hurt her daughter again.

"I view my job as a necessity and Kaycee as a priority, Mrs. Rice." Sean said, turning his head to face her more. Noticing how her eyebrows furrowed, he decided to explain himself further. "I am a chef. Cooking for people is something I enjoy, yet it has become a necessity as I now do it to survive. As unfortunate as it is, money is power. Money is how you build. Kaycee is a priority. Someone that holds crucial value and importance to my life. It's a privilege to be along her side in any way possible, so I view her as my highest priority."

"Isn't a priority a task? Are you saying my daughter is some thing you can work towards?! Is she some task to you?!" Laura asked, raising her voice.

"No, I'm saying I put her needs before my own. Whether it's her well-being or her feelings or her dreams, I want to see them flourish or heal before my own. I want to watch her become all that she can- that's all I want to do. I don't want to take from her, I just want to hold her hand and watch her. I'm a person that believes, 'if they wanted to they would'. I want to be there for her, so I make sure I am. Even if it's leaving work a bit early or losing sleep— I give what I can afford." Sean replied calmly.

Truthfully, he could level with her frustration and fear. He cared for her daughter too, intensely. Sean wanted the best for her just as her mom did, so he didn't mind her condescending tone or sharp glare.