12

Kaycee sat in her car outside her boyfriend's job, dreading to face the staff she was so fond of with her intimidating family behind her. She attempted to call Sean in between meetings and even on her break, but she still didn't have any luck.

A sage, strapless dress engulfed her body, contrasting her slightly pale skin. Silver rings looped around her fingers, a small birthstone necklace around her neck, and a small green clutch to match. She watched as her phone blew up with texts from her siblings asking where she was as she reapplied some lip gloss to her rosy lips. With a hushed obscenity leaving her mouth, she grabbed her belongings then got out of the car.

Kaycee crossed the street cautiously before waving to the valet employees. She walked through the glass doors with her head held high and confident strides. There was a proper sway in her hips as her black heels clicked against the wooden floor. "Kaycee!" She heard a familiar voice call.

Turning her head, she spotted her brother standing as he awaited her arrival with a smile among his features. She returned a small one whilst strolling over. "Hello, baby sis." He chuckled, hugging her loosely.

Devon pulled her chair out for her then scooted her in before sitting in his own chair next to her. To Kaycee's right was her sister, Kylie, and across from Kaycee was her mother while her dad sat on her mother's left. She saw her family fairly often. Aside from seeing them in the office, she made frequent visits to her family home and so did her siblings.

"Nice of you to join us, sweetheart." Her father proclaimed, sipping his wine.

"Sorry, I'm just a bit nervous. This is very sudden." Kaycee stated honestly, twiddling her fingers. Kylie put her hand on her shoulder reassuringly. "Don't worry, Kayc. We're just introducing ourselves. We want to meet this guy, who according to mom, is head over heels for you."

"Yeah, we're just scoping him out. Nothing to worry about." Devon sympathized while sipping his lemon water, but if she was being truthful, it made Kaycee feel worse.

As if on cue, a familiar figure walked up to their table. "Good evening. I'm Julian and I'll be your waiter tonight." He greeted them with a dashing smile. Kaycee felt a wave of relief overcome her body, confident that her family would be in good hands. "Can I start you off with any appetizers? Any more drinks?"

"Give me a bottle of your best wine and an iced tea for my wife, unsweetened." Brad requested in a commanding tone. Julian hummed in response, writing it down on his pad.

"A raspberry lemonade for me." Kylie smiled with the raise of her hand as she continued to scan the menu. "Same for me." Devon voiced.

"And let me guess, a Shirley Temple?" Julian smirked knowingly. His lighthearted joke put her at ease for a moment, for which she smiled at him in thanks. "Of course. Also, two orders of stuffed mushrooms." Kaycee giggled.

"No problem, Kayc. Is that all?" He asked, scribbling on his notepad. The girl in question nodded her head as everyone looked at them in a confused manner. "Got it. I'll be right back." Julian announced, taking his leave.

Once he was a considerable distance away, her family turned to her questionably. "He's a friend of Sean's." She shrugged, distracting herself with her phone.

"Has his family met you yet?" Kylie nudged with a smirk. "No. We planned to do the introductions a bit later, but here we are." She responded in a passive tone. Not only was this sudden, but her family was also causing Sean and Kaycee to move faster than they wanted. She felt rushed.

"Speaking of, where is he?" Her dad asked impatiently. "Well he's-" Kaycee began to explain but was cut off by her brother.

"Maybe we should send for him." Devon suggested, ignoring Kaycee. "But he-" She started again.