Chapter 40 - The Keys

Knife Warning ⚠️
————————————————————————

Yama's gloved hand grasped the switch to the light and gave it a tug. The lights flickered for a few seconds before fully illuminating the dark and black mold-covered basement.

He could feel himself shiver and the amount of grime and sewage water that coated the room and the god awful smell that made his nose physically burn from disgust.

Guess this was his temporary operating room for now...

Akai went over to a door leading to the halls within the basement that were basically tunnels that traveled all throughout the asylum's property. It will be easy to get (Y/N) out if they stuck to going underneath the asylum and not through it. "Once you're done with the mutt he'll go get (Y/N) and get her out through these tunnels. There should be a way to them closer to the cells."

"Did you have to pick a place so decrepit?" Yama muffled, using his sleeves to cover his nose from the stench.

Akai shrugged his shoulders. "Well maybe the throne room would be a better place, yea?!"

Yama rolled his eyes and placed his supplies on a table. He started sorting through them, getting everything he needed, the notes he took, and preparations done.

Ki returned from inspecting the halls and found their own escape route to get out from here. Everything seemed set for now. "We should be ready. Just need to call Dog down here."

"Been waiting on this damn day for so long." Akai huffed in relief. He regretted joining up with the King, not knowing how demented the guy was upon first meeting. Akai can admit that sometimes he can be crazy but he wasn't batshit insane like Zankoku.

"Once we get (Y/N) out there should be that old farm near the river we talked about. We'll take her there but we can't stay for too long." Ki spoke. "Chances are Zankoku will send the other scouts to find us. It's better to just avoid them at all cost."

Akai nodded. They can take on the other scouts. The only real threat is Bodhi but he doesn't do field work so he's not an issue. Bis is leaving soon after their hold is removed so it'll be just the remaining four. It will be harder to protect (Y/N) against Brus, Lamya, Peach, and Dolores so it's better to just keep moving and not have any run-ins with them.

The blond went to go retrieve Dog but had a sudden thought. He turned back to his brother with a wondering look. "How do you even know you're idea will work?"

Yama looked up before looking back down and unbuttoning the buttons on his shirt so he can show his chest. A large bandage that was beginning to be soaked in black blood across his chest could be seen that made the two cringe at the sight of it. "I removed mine already. If it didn't work I wouldn't be standing here right now."

If it wasn't for their situation Ki would've hoped it didn't work.

Back in the cell room, (Y/N) was sitting as far as she could from the bed with her blindfold resting above her eyes and trying to use a small metal stick she had found to pick the lock on the handcuffs. It's not like she was gonna run anywhere considering where she was. But being locked to the same spot for hours was tiring.

Dog was standing guard watching the halls to make sure none of the other scouts or Zankoku comes by. He's not sure what to do if they did but maybe he can try to distract them for a bit.

The time should be nearing for him to head down to the basement. While there was no way of seeing the sky from down in the cells he knows it's been hours since this morning. He just needed to wait for a signal.