Chapter 68

Kim ran for the woods as fast as her exhausted body would let her

Kim ran for the woods as fast as her exhausted body would let her. She wondered if at some point her body would just give out and she would collapse to the ground in a heap. She wondered if her friends would abandon her to save themselves or if they would come back for her, carrying her to safety if they had to. She knew that she would do anything for the four others running behind her, but she didn't know if they would do the same for her. She didn't feel like she was someone worth saving.

She shook the thought out of her mind and looked over her shoulder at Steve. "Just like running from the cops, right, Stevie?" Kim joked, still faster than him.

"I'd take that over this any day," Steve panted.

"Even with your middle school haircut?" Kim smirked.

Steve rolled his eyes. "Don't remind me."

After a few more minutes of running, Nancy called, "We can hide at Skull Rock. I don't think it's too far from here."

The quintet quickly darted under Skull Rock, letting the bat creatures fly past them. All of them shivered with anxiety, waiting until they couldn't hear the chittering, screeching of the bat's anymore.

"Okay," Robin breathed, crawling out of their hideout. "That was close."

"Yeah," Eddie agreed as the rest of the group staggered after Robin. "Too close."

"Oh, sh-shit," Steve mumbled, holding his sides and falling against the rocks.

"Steve?" Kim said worriedly, quickly coming to his aid. Her eyes grew wide at the sight of blood still oozing through his fingers. "Jesus."

"I'm fine. I'm fine," he tried to reassure her, hating to see her this worried.

"No, no, no," Kim shook her head. "You're not. You're losing blood. Come on, sit, alright?"

Steve grunted in pain as he sat down. Kim gently removed his hands from his sides to assess the wound. The bites went deep and the claw marks left torn flesh behind.

Robin knelt down next to Kim, also looking at Steve's injuries. "Okay, so, uh, the good news is I'm pretty sure wooziness is not a common symptom of rabies but, um, if you start having hallucinations or muscles spasms or you start feeling aggressive, like you might wanna punch me or something, than you should totally let me know."

"Robin," Steve said through gritted teeth.

"Yeah?"

"I kinda wanna punch you."

Robin laughed nervously. "Sense of humor's still intact. That's a good sign."

As they were talking, Kim had ripped off the bottom of her tank top to use as a bandage. "You ready? Cause this might hurt."

"Yeah," Steve groaned as he put his arms up. "Just do it." He stifled a groan and bit down on his lip, not wanting Kim to know how bad it hurt.

"Sorry," she whispered, tying it as tightly as she could with shaking fingers.