12 | GONE, GONE, GONE |

Outer Banks, somewhere in seaJuly 8th, 202010:00 am

July 8th, 2020
10:00 am

"Roger that, X marks the spot," JJ blurted out as big waves started to hit the boat.

Pope headed towards the small screen to make sure the drone they had stolen from where Luke worked (before he had gotten fired) functioned correctly. I held on to the rope with all my strength to make sure it was still and kept its trajectory, as Kiara helped me losing it up slowly.

"One hundred feet!" she yelled as she marked a line on the boat with a small chalk stick.

We were all focused on our tasks, as JJ tried so hard to keep the boat still against the ocean's stream and we all noticed the sky getting darker and darker above our heads. Maybe looking for the Merchant in this exact moment wasn't the perfect plan, but now that we were here, we had no right to just walk away, or sail away, to be more precise.

Pope gasped as his eyes were still glued on the screen that transmitted what the drone pictured, and we all revolved to look at him.

"What?" I asked.

"Nothing, I just thought I-" he began.

"Don't do that to me man!" JJ argued, annoyed by the fake hope it had given us.

JJ struggled more to keep the boat still as the waves hit harder and John B yelled at him the coordinates to follow. At this point we were all struggling, even Pope seemed to be a bit disappointed as nothing seemed to happen or be seen on the screen. "Four hundred feet!" Kiara then announced, way louder this time.

"Keep the tether out the prop!" our blonde friend screamed at us like we weren't already making our best.

"We're trying JJ! Just give us a second!" I yelled back and he rolled his eyes at me dramatically.

After loosening more and more the rope and Pope loosing hope as minutes went by, his eyes lighted up and a smile drew over his lips. "I'm at the bottom! I'm at the bottom!" Pope cheered.

"Okay steady here JJ! Quarter speed alright?" John B told our friend who was behind the wheel and he did exactly as he was told.

We all gathered around Pope to eye the screen, hoping to see anything golden, as the drone rotated under Pope's control. John B placed himself right in front of me so I couldn't see anything anymore and I started to panic. "Do you see anything?" I demanded.

They remained silent for a little while and I stepped aside so I could see the screen better, but as my eyes caught sight what was on the screen, I felt like jumping of happiness. I looked over at JJ and sighed, relieved it all ended up like in movies, with a happy ending.

"JJ, it's Royal Merchant," I breathed, as I made my way to him, forgetting about our previous fight.

"No fucking way," he voiced, as I made my way in the cabin, jumped in his arms and he pulled me in a warm embrace.