Chapter 47

Isabella used to like parties. Not the big ones but the small ones where the people you're close to gather around the a table where your cake was there for you to blow.

You'd think that after you blew the candles, your wish would come alive. As much as it was fun to create fun wishes filled with delightful cakes and treats, you knew you'd grew out of it eventually.

It was only a matter of time.

"I hate parties." She muttered as she walked around while people she didn't even knew that existed came to life by greeting her a 'Happy Birthday.' She smiled and thanked them, of course. But the excitement she had when she was child during birthdays vanished in thin air. All she could see were invited strangers on her property who could potentially be a threat to her or the people she held close.

She couldn't believe Dmitri would lower his guard that much for her birthday. A party like this is a pond filled with possible troubles.

Suddenly, someone grabbed her arm, causing her to almost grab the gun she hid inside of her dress.

"Izzy!" The woman said with red all over her. Red dress, red hair, red lips, red bracelet, red necklace. Red. All red.

Isabella forced herself not to cringe at the name. That name reminded her of someone she was not fond of.

Still, the lady smiled at the red woman. "Hi. How are you?"

The red woman grinned and hugged her tightly. "Augh, you're so pretty, cous. Anyways, this is some amazing thing you've done here. You sure you wanted this party and nobody forced you or whatever?" She joked, nudging her playfully.

Isabella laughed forcefully. "My, uh, friend wanted this party." It was actually Dmitri. "I only agreed to it." She replied.

The red woman laughed haugtily. There was a slight scowl on her face as she looks at Isabella with a hint of bitterness in her eyes.

"Damn, must be nice, Izzy."

Stop calling me Izzy.

Isabella instead tilted her head in mock confusion. "Must be nice to what?"

The red woman chuckled wickedly before slapping her arm playfully. "Oh, don't play pretend with me. I'm not drunk enough to play that."

Isabella didn't even try to force a smile this time. She frowns and looks at her in confusion. "What do you mean?" She said seriously, her eyes narrowing slightly.

The red woman, who's supposed to be her 'cousin', sighed in disbelief. "Y'know... Women in this family are more like decorations. Why d'you think they run away so often? Dames like us ain't worth a penny, unlike men in the family."  She sips her wine as her expression darkened with each word she said. "Gals like us are almost always locked up like we're in jail so I'm surprised you're allowed to have a party like this. It's like paradise, to be honest."

Isabella snorted and rolled her eyes at that. "Is it?"

"Fuck yeah it is!"

She looks at the surrounding that's littered all around them. Beautifully designed chairs and tables meant for people who held power and authority. The breeze was lightly swaying the trees near the lake. The morning sun was cascading down the water, creating a beautiful soft glow.

It felt freeing. To have a party, to celebrate another year where you turned older. To just have fun.

"It is kind of nice to think of this as paradise, isn't it? I mean a peaceful home near the lake where nobody could bother you. A party meant for people to have fun. Just family dancing around here and there. It almost feels like you're just normal, isn't it?" Isabella said, looking at Dmitri and Rafael arguing to Ezri trying to eat the sweets before the meal.