CHAPTER THREE

PILOT;
part three

AFTER COLLECTING KIARA FROM THE end of her wooden dock, the group of Pogues decided to drive through their usual route in the middle of the empty marsh, surveying the damage Hurricane Agatha had implemented on the island from the night beforehand.

"Oh my god, JJ's doing it again," Renna scoffed as her and Atticus travelled behind the boat on the girl's jet-ski peacefully. JJ had climbed onto the bow of the small boat with a beer in his hand, holding it out in the atmosphere in front of him as he tried to angle the pouring liquid into his open mouth. He failed drastically, the only thing the alcoholic drink hitting being the floor and Kiara's curled hair.

"I can do that," Atticus joked from behind Renna. The girl - laughing, smiling, and thinking everything was fine - looked back at the boy with a grin as he morphed his fingers into the shape of a bottle. He held his hand up whilst shaking his face side to side, imitating the boy on the tip of the boat in front of them from only moments ago.

In the time that Renna had spared a glance back, the H.M.S. Pogue had lurched to a halt. Atticus' eyes widened as he went to grab the handles from behind the girl, Renna whipping around just before him to do the exact same. They were going to hit the boat, but Renna's quick thinking stopped it before it happened.

She harshly tilted the handles to the side, swerving the jet-ski away from the floating boat before them after JJ had flown off the front of it. The sudden jerk resulted in the pair tumbling off the side of the pink vehicle, swimming to the surface to break with gasps for air.

"You okay, Ren?" Atticus asked once he'd broken the water's edge, the girl hurriedly pushing her hair out of her face to look at the boy in the eyes.

"Yeah, yeah, I'm fine. Are you?" She replied, lightly kicking her legs in the cold, murky water.

"Yeah, I'm good," he confirmed before his sight moved up to the stern of the boat. John B was leaning over the side, staring down at the drenched duo worriedly.

"You guys good?" He asked with furrowed brows, squinting his eyes to escape the beaming sunlight.

"Yeah, we're fine. What happened?" Atticus asked as he shared a look with Renna. She started to swim back towards her lonely jet-ski.

"Yeah, Pope. What happened?" John B questioned as he turned around to stare at the boy.

"Sandbar. The channel changed," he answered with a hand above his eyes, stepping onto the bow of the boat to peer into the foggy water.