CHAPTER SIX

PILOT;
part six

ATTICUS EXPLAINED EVERYTHING. AS THE duo drove back to the Château, Atticus spoke about what happened in the haunting hotel room as Renna's fingers tightened around the jet-ski handles. From the clothes, to the map, to the money, to the gun - he explained it all. It didn't help that JJ was waving the weapon around in the air beside them, only heightening Renna's nerves surrounding the entire boating mystery.

Once they arrived back at John B's house, they discussed their plans, or more so how they were going to play out the crime as if they were clueless and didn't have the stolen money hidden beneath their mattresses. They decided to have a Kegger, so Pope and Renna's worries of getting caught would diminish as they blended into the teenage crowd. Renna offered everyone - except John B - a ride home, but they all politely declined. So, she drove back alone.

She arrived at her house, got changed, and caught a ride in the passenger seat of Blake's car. Luckily, Rafe wasn't supposed to be attending, which only uplifted the girl's mood as she figuratively bounced in her seat. It made her feel safer, a lot safer, to know that the boy who was behind most of her troubles wouldn't be making an appearance.

As soon as she got there, she spotted Kiara talking to a random guy, Pope and John B talking to different Tourons around the boneyard, and JJ and Atticus talking by the fire. She immediately rushed towards the pair, leaving her brother in the kicked-up dust.

Atticus had his back to her, so JJ saw her first.

"Renna, welcome! Nice of you to finally join us," he teased with a smirk, throwing his hands into the air in a cheer. Atticus whipped his head around as his face instantly enlightened, wrapping an arm around her shoulder as he offered her some of his drink.

"What's in it?" She asked as she peered into the cup.

"Beer," he shrugged with a grin, holding it out to her. She hesitantly reached forward and took the slightest of sips, but immediately felt the urge to spit it back out. She cringed and waved a hand in front of her face, the other pushing the cup back into Atticus' chest.

The two boys laughed as they watched the girl struggle to swallow the alcoholic drink. "I don't understand how you guys drink that everyday."

"It's good, that's why," JJ reasoned.

"It's gross." JJ's eyes darted off to a random girl who'd walked past the trio, looking lost and alone as she scanned the crowd with a full cup in hand.

"Well, you two have fun. I know I sure will be." He tapped both their shoulders with a wink before walking through the sand towards the lonely girl. Atticus and Renna turned to each other and rolled their eyes.