CHAPTER TEN

PILOT;
part ten

"HEY, GUYS? GUYS, BOGEY, TWO o'clock," Kiara called out. Atticus immediately pulled out of the warming embrace and whipped around, glaring at the oncoming boat with his touch lingering on the girl's waist.

"Do you recognize that boat?" Pope questioned as he looked between his friends.

"I've never seen it," Kiara muttered as she stared at the sleek, white vehicle.

"What are they doing back here? The marsh is closed."

"This isn't good," Renna mumbled as she shook her head, Atticus spinning around at the sound with raised brows.

"We'll be fine, love. We always are," he reassured her with a convincing smile.

"JJ, Atticus, get the bowline." John B nodded towards the two boys.

"Yeah," JJ responded instantly. Atticus, who was still mad at John B, rolled his eyes whilst facing Renna, causing her to softly smile at him in an attempt to calm him down. He stood up and went to the bowline to help JJ, walking past John B whilst making an effort to push him backwards with his shoulder.

"Hey?" The Routledge boy called out with confusion, only getting ignored by Atticus and an apologetic look sent to his face from Renna.

"Should we wait on 'em?" Pope asked.

"No, Pope. Let's just go," Renna mumbled without taking her eyes off the suspicious boat in the distance.

"Go get the stern. Go!" John B told Pope harshly.

"Guys, hurry up," Kiara pleaded to the boys at the bowline.

"Don't wait for us, go!" JJ struggled to say as he pulled up the rope, Atticus stood by his side.

"We need to go, now!" Renna urged, pushing John B to get behind the wheel. Once they started to move, Atticus, who had successfully pulled up the anchor, returned to stand beside Renna, who was still sitting nervously at the back of the boat. 

"I don't like this," John B muttered beneath his breath.

"Are they coming for us?" JJ questioned.

"Maybe they're fishing?" Pope suggested with a frown.

"Yeah, or going for a swim in the sunset?" Atticus added, causing Renna to look up at him with raised brows. "What? That's what you always talk about."

"Go into the marsh," Pope directed with a hand pointed off to the side, his friend behind the wheel instantly spinning them around the corner. Just to their luck, the other boat followed them.