Chapter 29

When I got to see what was written on the paper Leo gave me, I felt an utter doubt in the pit of my stomach. I knew Kalvin lives in a condominium, and I've always imagined it'd be the kind for rich people to live in, but when I read the name of the street, it said that his condo was located at Meldor Street; a commonly known street for commoners.

When I arrived, and looked at the long awaited condominium, I suddenly felt my heart speed up. I gulped, and I tried to focus on that fact that Kalvin lives here rather than the fact I'm starting to freak out. The condo was big, I can tell you that; bigger than most and quite clean too.

But nonetheless, it also kind of average. It was casual. It was modern, and I think anyone with a fair salary could afford it.

When I finally took a deep breath from the sudden nervousness, I build up my courage and went straight to the entrance. The cold air condition calmed my nerves. It smelled nice and the lobby was close to empty. Some people with business suits and briefcases were on their phone and I began guessing that most people who live here must be sophisticated.

The guy who was at the counter greeted me. I returned it and even bowed for that matter. I took a look at the paper, wanting to see what floor Kalvin is.

7th floor, room 28.

I went up to the elevator and pressed up. When it opened, I got it inside and pressed 7.

_______

I was standing outside room 28 and I could have sworn I heard thumping noises in my head. I'm nervous to death. Why? Because who knows what he'll say when he sees me. And more importantly, who knows what had happened to him. For all we know, Kalvin might be drunk at the other side of this door.

I felt scared for him.

I took a breath and finally brought up my fist. I knocked on his door.

I thought my heart could've broke through my chest with how hard and loud it's beating. It felt like centuries, and it made me think that maybe Kalvin wasn't at home. My arm felt weak for another knock. Somehow, my energy was drained from that single motion alone.

I gulped, and I desperately pulled myself together for another knock on the door. When I did, this time, I heard footsteps from the inside.

My heart quickened. This is it.

The person had already had his hand on the doorknob. He turned it and the door slowly motioned its way for an opening.

When it was wide enough to see me, he paused and lifted his head.

Kalvin's appearance took my breath away. He was like a completely different person. His hair was lifeless, oily and really badly done. His skin turned paler, his eyes were red and they were surrounded by dark circles. His lips were pale and cracked. His attire were poorly chosen and it looks like it hasn't been changed for days.

My heart fell seeing him like this. How could a handsome man look like this in such few days? It broke my heart, and honestly, I was more concern with how sad he looks other than the whole new get up.

For a moment, our eyes were locked but shortly after, he lowered his gaze away from mine.

"Kal—." I couldn't even finish his name; saying it out loud felt so dry and sad. He didn't even flinch or reacted to my unfinished call, he just kept his gaze low, which affected me more than I thought. This was so unlike him. I would have never imagined he'd ever look like this even in his worst days. I found it hard to accept; so hard that I wanted to refuse this reality.