9: Until I Met You

Chapter 9

That entire week leading up to the field trip was not all that great. Even though I knew that I didn’t have to go on the excursion, I still felt bad that I was leaving Olivia by herself.

All day Tuesday she had been talking about how excited she was that her mother was letting her go on the trip and how excited she was to have me going along, and it wasn’t until Wednesday that I had the courage to tell her that I wasn’t going on the trip.

As I told her that I just wasn’t into marine biology and my mom didn’t think the trip was a good idea for me, which was basically me making up a cover story for my real problems, she accepted my reason and said that she would try to have enough fun for the both of us.

I felt bad lying to her as we had been getting closer, but I just wasn’t ready to tell her about my past yet, and I just hoped that when I did work up the courage to tell her, that she would understand and still want to hang around me.

Waking up on Friday, I felt as though there was an invisible storm cloud hovering above me as I was just feeling down in the dumps. I guess the knowledge that I might have had to face my past and get on a boat today was eating away at my mind, even though I didn’t have to.

Stretching out my limbs and rising from my bed, I took a quick shower before opening my closet door and scanning the various possibilities of clothes that hung before me. As I pulled out an outfit, I realized how weird it felt to be sliding a pair of jean shorts and a three quarter length chiffon shirt on near the end of September.

In my old town, the end of September brought colder nights and breezy days. I would pull out my jeans and hoodies and get ready for the chilly days to come however, in the sea-side town of Avondale, the weather didn’t look like it would be changing anytime soon.

Dressed in my summery clothing, I quickly tossed my hair into a side braid and brushed my teeth before grabbing my bag from the floor and heading downstairs for breakfast.

For once I was surprised that I had gotten to the kitchen before my mom. Usually she was the one with the punctuality and organization, but today it looked like she was running a little late.

I got to work on making a couple of scrambled eggs for us to share and when they were steaming on their plates, I sat down at my seat before calling for my mom.

“Mom, breakfast is ready!” I projected loud enough so that wherever she was in the house she would be able to hear me.

A couple of seconds later I heard a bunch of jumbled steps speeding down the stairs before I saw my mom breeze into the kitchen looking slightly winded.

“Are you okay mom?” I asked, swallowing the eggs as my mom took a seat across with me.

I watched her take a deep and relaxing breath before replying. “Sorry honey, it’s just I didn’t sleep all that well last night and I got up slightly late this morning.” she explained before taking a bite of her breakfast.