𝙊𝙉𝙀

She stripped off her jacket the minute she stepped out of her old, beat up CJ7. The little breeze that did nothing to cool the earth, only blowing her long hair into her face. As she entered the hanger, she tucked it behind her sunglasses. She followed the sound of metal against metal until she found the old vintage plane in the back corner.

"Hiya, there Mav." she greeted, putting her hands into her back pocket and shifting her weight to her good leg.

His head popped out from inside the plane, the wrench he held clattering to the ground. Grease smeared all over his arms and shirt.

"Well if it isn't my favorite Kazansky." He jumped down from the wing, engulfing her in a big hug.

"You do know my last name isn't Kazansky, right?" she laughed as he set her back down on the ground.

"Lilah, that might not be what your birth certificate says, but you're you're Kazansky, it's in your blood."

Lilah brushed off the possible backhanded comment and picked up a tool from Maverick's huge tool box collection. "So, why did you call me?"

She went to work where he pointed, but took one look at all of the wires and decided it was better to take a seat on the old, dusty couch.

"What, I can't just want to see my favorite fighter pilot who's been deployed for six months?"

He was messing with her, and she knew it, but she let the big smile light up her sun kissed skin anyways.

"No, you always need something, Mav." Lilah laughed when he flipped her off.

"I assume you got the request to return to Top Gun?" he questioned her, using a rag to clean his hands before collapsing besides her.

"How the fuck do you know about that?" She was stunned. "It's top secret, even my grandfather doesn't know what's going on."

Mav leaned forward, resting his forearms on his thighs. "Long story short, I got myself into some shit." Lilah gave him a look. "Okay, I got myself into some shit again and your grandfather's got me out it. Again."

"What did you do?"

"Crashed a multi-million dollar fighter jet." Maverick quickly moved on once he saw Lilah's green eyes pop out of her head. "Anyways, the only way my ass is going to stay in the military is if I go back to Top Gun and teach you cocky sons of bitches."

"So you're my teacher, well just any teacher in general, for what matter." Lilah gigggled, finding it hilarious. "That's the best my grandfather could do?"

Maverick cut her a glare and she stopped. "No, actually I decided to just not. Maybe it's my time."

"You what?" Lilah stood up and stared to pace. "Pete, my grandfather's not doing well, he's respected, but if that's all he can get you, he's not playing."

"I know, I know." Maverick shook his head. "Which is why you're here."

Lilah shook her head violently, "Oh no, whatever scheme you have up your sleeve I am not participating in."

"Does your mom know you're home?" was all he asked, ignoring her refusal to help him.

"I just stepped off the ship four hours ago, so no." she replied, the pictures on the board behind Maverick's tool box catching her eye. He stood, his arm around a familiar looking man, smiling brighter than she'd ever seen him smiling.

"You need to talk to your mom, kid."

"Hey!" she snapped, "Don't get me advice on how to be a good child, cuz I could spit plenty of parental advice at you."