Forty-Two

In the back seat of the SUV Auden watched Jimin slowly fall apart. He tried calling his parents the moment they got outside the venue but they must've been consumed in helping his brother because there was no answer. 

They headed straight for the airport, Han had already booked them a direct flight. 

It was dark outside, and the only thing allowing Auden to see Jimin's face were the lights from the streets and headlights of other cars. When a beam of yellow light flashed through the windows Auden caught a glimpse of the expression on Jimin's face. 

He looked afraid. More afraid than she'd ever seen him. 

"Jimin," Auden said softly, reaching out for his hand. She found he was trembling, and when his eyes met hers unshed tears pooled in his eyes. 

"I can't do this. . ." Jimin said, and Auden reached out to pull him into her arms. 

She held him close in the back seat, his head buried into the crook of her shoulder as silent tears fell down his beautiful face. A gasping sob escaped him, causing Auden's heart to feel like it was splitting in two. 

"It's going to be alright," she said, even though she didn't know if it was. She could only hope it would be. 

He struggled to compose himself for a time. But Auden didn't mind, she just held him. And she would hold him as long as he needed her. 

They pulled up to the airport thirty minutes later, and Auden urged him towards the door as Han put the SUV in park. 

"We have to go, love," she said gently, and reluctantly he took in a heavy breathe and they got out of the car together. 

Luckily it was dark, and no one was suspecting Jimin to be at the airport at such an hour. So they entered unnoticed. Auden kept her arm around Jimin's waist, not wanting to let go of him. 

Head bowed, Jimin followed her and Han through security and customs to the private plane they'd called to pick them up. Thankfully Hitman Bang had required Auden to have a passport before the tour began so she didn't have to worry about leaving the country. 

Jimin was subdued the entire journey through the airport. He looked broken—numb. 

Auden was grateful when they finally got seated and found there were chairs that turned into beds. 

"You should rest," she told him, but his eyes remained glued to the window overlooking the lively city bathed in navy midnight hues. It was nearly eleven at that point. 

"We can't do anything now, Jimin. Please, try and rest," Auden urged him, and thankfully he obeyed. He curled up in the seat, and Auden helped pull a blanket up over him. 

He closed his eyes, and she caught sight of more tears leaking onto his precious cheeks. 

She'd never felt this way for anyone. Never felt her heart ache so intently at someone else's pain. If anything it proved to Auden how much she loved this man before her. Seeing him break was enough to make her world shift. What happened to him, inevitably affected her now. 

She didn't know what to expect when they arrived in Korea. All they knew from what Han had told them was that Jimin's brother was in the hospital and that he needed to get to Korea as soon as possible. Did this mean his brother was dying? Auden prayed that wasn't the case. She hoped they'd called Jimin to be cautious, because there were chances still. A chance he would be fine, even if there was a chance that he wouldn't be. So Auden prayed for possible outcomes because if there was a possibility his brother would be okay, there was also the possibility of a miracle.