[ 030 ] saviors

030: saviors

Joey woke up early the next morning, again. She didn't plan on going hunting. She didn't really plan on doing anything. Her body still ached from gardening yesterday, but she wanted to check in on the growth. Maggie told her it would take a while—they didn't have a while. Alexandria was starving, now. She thought about Bill and how skinny he was. He hardly gained back the weight he lost from being on the road and giving her and Finn all his food. They were getting big and strong, and he was still feeding himself crumbs. Joey wondered if he was so used to not eating, he just didn't want to anymore. The thought made her want to cry and tear her hair out. He wanted to protect her but wouldn't allow her to protect him. He couldn't save everyone. But he could save her. He could save Finn. Joey hated that.

Joey went downstairs thinking they were going to be there, but it was empty. The lights weren't even turned on. Joey thought that was weird and stumbled outside to see nearly everyone walking out of Rick's home—including Finn and Bill, and Carl. Her heart stammered at the sight of him. She had almost forgotten what she said to him last night. His face went red when he saw her, and they smiled at each other awkwardly. Joey went up to Bill and Finn and shook her head. "What's going on?"

Bill looked back at this man who came out of the house with them—he had a beanie on over long hair and a beard. He was new—he must've been the man named Jesus. Joey thought the name suited him. He probably gave it to himself—no one has the nickname Jesus unless they give it to themselves.

"This is Jesus—he apparently has a community nearby. They want to trade with us."

Joey put her hands on her hips and looked taken aback. "Trade with what? We have nothing." she laughed, and Bill grabbed her arm to pull her away from the group. "We're seeing what they have and we're going to make a deal. We don't even know if he's telling the truth." he whispered, and Joey looked over his shoulder to look at Jesus. "Okay, well . . . can I come?"

"Of course kiddo." He still called her kiddo, even though she wasn't a kid anymore. (At least, she didn't think she was. She is seventeen now—it was an approximate guess that her birthday had passed. Not that it mattered to anyone else but her—and Carl.) She tried to avoid Carl when they passed by each other. He stared at her like he could see right through her. Joey figured that ignoring him was the best way to keep him interested—she had never returned the sentiment about liking him back. If he even liked her anymore. He probably didn't after how she acted yesterday.

She changed quickly and met everyone at the trailer. Joey helped load some things up and helped Maggie up the stairs when she made her way up. Joey didn't think Maggie should be traveling, but she knew she wouldn't listen to her. Joey wouldn't listen to herself, either.

When they were about to leave, she watched as Carl bid his dad goodbye and held Judith close to his chest. "You're not coming?" she asked, and he shook his head. "Someone's gotta keep this place safe." Joey inched closer to him and narrowed her eyes. "I'll stay with you, if you want." she insisted, but he shook his head. "No. Go. You deserve to go and be a part of this."

He thought she was important. Joey thought she might kiss him. "Plus, I might be a scary first impression." he pointed to his eye, and Joey chuckled. "I think it's badass." It was true—she did. She hated how insecure he was about it. So, she leaned forward and kissed his cheek, right below his lost eye. "Stay safe."

He went red and Joey had to hold in her laugh. "Uh—yeah. I will. You too." he muttered quickly, and Joey nodded her head before turning to get on the trailer. Finn was staring at her when she walked on—she was the last one. "So you and Carl are dating now?" Everyone turned to look at her, especially Rick, Michonne and Bill. Joey felt her face go so hot she thought she would explode. "Shut the fuck up, Finn." She kicked him in the leg and sat down on the opposite side of the trailer with a huff, crossing her arms over her chest. Everyone decided to collectively ignore Finn, except for Rick and Bill, who kept looking at her and then at each other.