Who Taught Us to Fly

The last few weeks had been rough for the Ducks. They weren't playing well without Charlie and Fulton, which put them under more pressure with the school board. Goldberg had started playing defense to fill in for Fulton, but it wasn't the same. Charlie was the heart of the team, so the team was having a hard time adjusting without him there. 

School wasn't any easier for Adam and Ellie. It was difficult sharing every single class with an ex. While Ellie had the support of the Ducks, Adam had never felt more alone. He would try to talk to her during the time between classes, but he was never able to get more than a few words out of her. He was trying his best to apologize for everything that had happened, but it seemed like she didn't even care. However, that was far from the truth. She was struggling with seeing his face every day, wanting nothing more than for them to go back to how they used to be. It was just hard for her to get over the events that had happened. 

But nothing was as bad as the phone call the players had received from Charlie. "Hello?" Ellie says, answering the phone.

"Ellie... Um, Hans, he passed away." Those words spoken by Charlie were the last words she was hoping to hear. Hans was there mentor and meant a great deal to the team. They wouldn't be the Ducks without Hans. "Can you, um, tell Banks?"

"Yeah, of course. When is the funeral?" Ellie was in shock, still processing the news of their departed friend. Life for the Ducks was never going to be the same. 

"Next week," Charlie tells her, holding back his tears. Telling each of his teammates the news about their mentor didn't get easier. The team was close to Hans, but no one was as close to him as Charlie. 

"We'll get through this Charlie," Ellie comforts him, knowing he needed it more than she did. With Bombay gone, Hans was the only person Charlie could confide in. She knew Charlie was going to be grieving for a long time. 

"Bye, Ellie." With that, Charlie hung up the phone. He couldn't bring himself to talk about Hans anymore. He just needed time to himself to gather his thoughts on the information his mother gave him. Charlie never thought they'd be losing Hans so soon.

Ellie placed the phone down and opened up her window. It had been a while since she climbed this tree, but it was important that Adam knew what was going on. She couldn't just leave him in the dark, as he loved Hans just as much as the other players. The light of his bedroom shined through the window since his curtains were open, something he had been doing since they broke up. He kept them open just in case Ellie had decided to come knock on his window again. 

The knock on Adam's window made him jump, not expecting to hear that noise anytime soon. He knew winning Ellie back was going to take time, so he always reminded himself to be patient. He quickly opened his windows when he caught the tears brimming her eyelids. "What's wrong?"

Ellie hopped into his room, not prepared to give him the same news she just received. "Hans passed away. Charlie just called to tell me," her voice croaked. Adam looked at her in disbelief. His mind going a million miles a second trying to process the information. 

Adam knew he shouldn't have, but it was just a natural reflex at this point. He wrapped Ellie up in his arms, burying his head in her shoulder as she cried out on his chest. Ellie's once tense body was now relaxed. Being in the comfort of Adam's arms again made it seem like everything was going to be okay. 

The following week, the Ducks were attending Hans' funeral. They were gathered around the casket, listening to the prayer that was being spoken. A few even saying the prayer aloud as well. Ellie stood next to Adam, her hand in his. Once the prayer finished, a familiar voice had spoken up. 

"Excuse me, one second." It was Bombay, who was holding Hans' original Duck jersey. He placed it on the casket, knowing Hans would want to be buried with it. He created the jersey and he was the one that inspired Bombay to create the Ducks. "Every time you touch the ice, remember it was Hans who taught us to fly." 

Charlie broke down and took off, not being able to look at Bombay. Ellie, Connie, and Julie had placed flowers on top of the casket, saying one last goodbye to Hans. Bombay hugged them and the rest of the Ducks. Hans' death was hard on the group and he knew that. He hadn't been around much, but he knew he needed to be at this funeral for himself and the Ducks. 

Once the funeral had ended, Adam and Ellie were sat at the water that was across from where they had just buried their mentor. "It was nice of Bombay to come back," Ellie says, making small talk. She was doing her best to avoid the elephant in the room, which was her and Adam's relationship. Ever since she had told him about Hans, they had started spending time together again. The two had managed to revert back to their old friendship, like how it was before they started dating. That time together just reminded Ellie how much she needed Adam in her life, as friends or maybe more. 

"He has a tendency to show up when we need him most," Adam responds, referring to when he showed up during their game against Germany in the Goodwill Games. The team may have been pissed that he had left them without a coach at the beginning of the game, but he came at just right the time. 

"I still can't believe Hans is dead." Despite knowing for over a week, Ellie was still having a hard time processing. Hans had done so much for the team, and it felt like a key piece to the Ducks was missing. It was a spot that could never be filled. 

"Life is short, Ellie. Losing someone you love can happen when you least expect it." Adam wasn't just referring to Hans when he spoke. Life without Ellie was Adam's own personal hell and he would do anything to get out of it.

Author's Note: 

Last update for a few days! I'm going away with family for fourth of july weekend, but updates will resume once we get back! Comment your plans for the weekend and predictions for the next chapter!