[ 011 ] the lost sisters

CHAPTER ELEVENXI

CHAPTER ELEVEN
XI. the lost sisters
[ season 2, episode 7 ]

"Breathe. Sunflower. Rainbow. Three to the right. Four to the left. Four fifty."

Eleven had infiltrated her mother's mind. There, she saw the same events replaying over and over again ── on a constant loop. Her Aunt Becky murmuring the word breathe. A bunch of sunflowers sprouting from a clear vase. A door with a vibrant rainbow painted over it, two unfamiliar girls inside, one with red hair the other with brown. Codes. Vaults. The lab.

Everything that led to Terry's downfall.

"And it just kept repeating?" Eleven heard Becky Ives' voice inquire.

They were both sitting at the dining table now that Eleven had acquired all the information she needed to know about her mother's vegetative state. She showed no signs of ever coming around, or returning to normality, seemingly awake but stuck in a whirlwind of unattainable thoughts. Although, Terry had been able to slip fragments of the past into her daughter's supernatural mind ── information that was key to figuring out exactly who she was, and her purpose.

Becky leaned forward, continuing to press with the words, "Did it show you the same images over and over?"

"She kept showing the girls in the room." Eleven answered.

"The rainbow room?"

A hazy image of the painted door flashed through Eleven's mind. Her brain squeezed, and she nodded in response to Becky's question, feeling the familiar lurch of pain flickering through her mind.

"And what did the girls look like?"

More flashes.

Inside the rainbow room, there was a small girl with raven hair coiled into two plaits, no older than seven. She was playing with a toy, weaving it through her hands. And beside her sat another girl ── she looked a little younger, with dulled red hair cascading over her shoulders in unkempt waves, and vacant auburn eyes staring up at the ceiling.

Eleven couldn't think of ways to describe the strangers other than, "Different."

"Different than you?" Becky asked.

A nod of confirmation.

"I think this is why Mama wanted to talk." Eleven said hoarsely.

To any right mind, Becky appeared somewhat sceptical. "To show you the girls?"

Another nod.

Eleven slowly twisted her head to the side, watching her mother on the other side of the room. She was mumbling the same words under her breath repeatedly, clutching the arms of the inanimate rocking chair.