chapt 44 • Read To Me

I felt like a complete bitch

What wasn't making the feeling any better was the stack of books on the side of my door with a cookie wrapped in a cute and decorated box.

The messages made it even worse, the picture of the sliding ladder and the gray cat resting soundly on his lap.

But if I never had gone to that dinner, I would've never learned what my Grandma's true intentions were for marrying me off to Noah.

I read the letter over and over, making sure everything I was reading was true.

Was it wrong when I read about her condition that I didn't feel any remorse for her?

A woman who didn't have a single good bone in her body was suffering from a heart condition. A heart I would've never guessed she had.

Even if she couldn't pay for the treatments, this wasn't the way to repay her debt. Giving me off as if I was just so easy to dispose of.

The idea of Grandma happily signing Noah's contract only angered me. I knew she could be cruel but the woman was just evil.

"Am I wrong? I don't feel bad for her" I say while I let Adam read through the paper.

His facial expression is one I didn't expect, I expected him to be shocked, asking what the fuck like I did but instead he looked... angry, his eyebrows were scrunched together, his hand over his chin while the stare in his eyes could burn the paper just like that.

"You're not wrong, she has never given you sympathy, you cannot return something you weren't given in the first place" He raises his eyes to me, as his words went farther than about sympathy for my Grandma.

"He said she's been planning this for a while now, she's probably hiding so much more from me" Adam doesn't say anything, he folds the paper and puts it back into the envelope.

"Have you begun to look at what university you'd like to attend?" I stay silent and it's enough to answer his question.

"It's important Honey and I know what you're thinking right now, that you won't get into one and that isn't true. You're smarter than you think, far more talented than you believe. You need to start giving yourself more credit."

I was starting to realize I ended the sessions with Adam because I didn't want them to feel like I had to come but I wanted to come on my own time. Adam was the only adult in my life who actually gave me his time and listened to me without making my feelings feel invalidated.

"You should write a book, you have a lot of wise men quotes" He rolls his eyes but doesn't try to hide the smile lifting to his face.

"I'll be sure to put you in the dedication."

"Adam...please don't turn out to be like them. Like every other adult in my life" I keep my hands braced in front of me, slowly raising my eyes to find Adam going to say something before he changes it at the last second.