𝑖𝑖.

i'm not heartless, i've just learned
how to use my heart less

CHAPTER ii. capitol's emerald

Emerald situated herself on a velvety, dark green couch in her very own modern apartment. The whole apartment was sparkling with gemstones and emeralds encrusted on furniture. The walls were extravagant, and the rooms literally screamed of money and richness.

It was the beginning of a new year, but they were never the same anymore. Emerald was admired and praised for her beauty and fame. Every single fucking year.

She wasn't sad, nor happy. She was angry. Every second of her life. It never went away, her anger towards the Capitol, towards Snow, and Finnick.

That stupid also fame-worthy guy who was praised just like her. She wished she had the chance to cut his throat out again, but as Snow said, she must learn how to turn that anger into a mask of beauty. Never show your true feelings, it'll make you seem vulnerable.

Ever since she won the games, the Capitol and Snow looked after her. She was no longer hunting for food, but being rewarded with extreme money, fame and exquisiteness. Snow moved her to District 1, she wasn't no one anymore.

Everyone loved her. The Capitol's Emerald. Perfect, flawless and unbroken.

Emerald sat patiently in front of the live stream that automatically turned on to show the one and only Katniss Everdeen and Peeta Mellark on their tour to District 1. She has been the mentor for the tributes of District 1 for years since she won the games. Most would win, but some, like the ones last year unfortunately didn't.

It was hard, teaching and getting to know the tributes every year and then not knowing if they were going to survive. Emerald would always focus on their strengths, but the one thing she would always say the most was trust nobody, even your closest allies.

She thought herself a pretty good mentor, considering she did private lessons for both of her tributes on training. Emerald taught them everything she knew. Everything and anything to keep them alive.

Considering they were careers, most of the tributes she trained were quite cocky and overconfident about everything. The ones that refused private lessons, would normally end up dead. But the ones that would listen, usually had a much better chance of winning.

Even though she was never actually a born career, Emerald was never very kind to begin with. It was obvious compared to her brother that she was the natural born killer. Always getting so angry easily, in reality, she was just a lost girl from District 13 who embraced her only instinct to survive.

She took a sip of her energy drink. Later tonight she would be meeting the couple in person at the Capitol's party for victors. A delayed ceremony she also attended back a few years later after her games.

Emerald followed her escort towards the brightly lit mansion. She was dressed in a tight silver dress that hung just above her knees. It had tiny emeralds encrusted over it that sparkled in the light. Her hair was put up in a high ponytail with long strands hanging down the front. Everything matched, her emerald hair clip and necklace.