15 | Assistance

"You wanted to see me?" I asked entering my boss' office, quite confident nothing bad was about to happen. It was a usual thing for me to be called in to see my boss, usually because she wanted to complain or assign me a new job.

"I need you to do a job." She said as I expected, handing me a piece of paper.

I read through the paper as she explained the details, "we're having some important guests from our partnered sponsorship coming tomorrow to shoot an advertisement for us and I need someone to assist them for the day." I furrowed my eyebrows, confused as to why no one told me we were partnered with another company, "And I couldn't think of anyone more suitable for the job than you."

"Do I have to do it?" Again, I was supposed to be the social media specialist of this company, not a personal assistant.

"Nora," my boss adjusted her glasses to be more suitable on her nose, "these people will make us a lot of money and a poor experience equals discomfort and anger, which equals not wanting to be a part of the commercial, which equals no commercial at all, which equals..."

"No money?"

"No money, that's exactly right, Nora." She slammed her hand on her desk and I sighed in defeat. "These 3 men have lots of publicity and will help us get more sales. You're the right person for this." I read through the paper a second time. It didn't really give me a lot of information about the company or even about the guests that were coming. I just assumed they were arrogant douchebags who think they're better than everyone because they wear a suit for a living.

"Ok.. I'll do it."

"Great! On the backside of the page is a list of potential requests and a map of the hotel the advertisement will be filmed at." I slouched a little when I flipped the paper over. It felt like a backside of an exam.. "But I'm sure you know the places already so it won't be an issue." She felt triumphant and if she wasn't my boss, I'd slap that grin off her face. "Oh, and make sure you dress nicely."

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

I arrived early the next morning to prepare myself for the day. The advertisement was being filmed at a hotel but I wasn't expecting it to look so fancy. The entrance was an extremely tall room with a huge amount of open space that was currently filled with the camera crew. It had a modern style, with rich wood covering the walls along with stripped lights to illuminate the area. Not that there needed to be so many lights as the room was basically covered with tall windows. I approached the camera crew, familiar with some of the faces and said hello.

I was chatting with one of the directors when I noticed a few men I've never seen before, "Hey Bruce, who are they?" I pointed in the direction they were standing at. They looked to have never met before and were getting to know each other.

"Oh those are the stunt doubles, but now that I think about it I think we only need one of them.." He looked down at his clipboard and flipped through the pages.

"Why do you need a stunt double?"

"Because he's going to dance." He simply said, still looking at his clipboard, now writing something down.

What the fuck do we need a dancer for a hotel advertisement?  I furrowed my eyes, fixing my gaze back on the stunt doubles. I guess you gotta do what you gotta do to make an ad entertaining. I went back to my initial plan to prepare for the day, memorising the different locations, especially the bathrooms, finalising a few contracts and setting up a little area I found in the back room so I could relax. I'm not willing to cling to a bunch of fancy, suited, arrogant idiots all day. Your girl needs a break every now and then.

I managed to finish preparing a few minutes before my boss was supposed to arrive so I sat by the entrance and waited. My pantsuit was feeling really uncomfortable and I rolled my shoulders in hopes to relieve it. I didn't understand why I had to dress so nicely. I usually just show up to work in jeans and a blouse.