Chapter 50: Soul Watcher

(A/N: may work ako kagabi, tapos nawalan ng internet bigla buong magdamag. Napasulat tuloy ng wala sa oras kasi wala akong magawa. Pero thanks for waiting again. Here's the update)

Alex's POV

After two weeks of the wall construction. Paris helped building almost a thousand of cabins and houses in the whole mountain. After a month, the mountain changed into a residential place that can accomodate five thousands of survivors.

This can't be done with help of Paris, Red and other survivors.

"We can start the recruitment again" I said in front of the peple in the conference room.

The whole room went silent.

Audrey raised her hand and said "do you mean, rescue survivors again?"

I raised my eyebrow and snickered. "Audrey, more than half of the population are dead now. Those dead people are either weak, or kind and soft hearted. Of course, some are really unfortunate.. After more than a year of fighting or surviving outside, those people who remained standing are either ruthless, cruel, braver, stronger, smarter, or luckier. If it was a few months ago or the beginning of the apocalypse, they are really people who needs to be rescued. But now, i doubt it"

The rest of the people nods in agreement. Audrey frowned and nod in the end.

"Those people will be harder to control. Especially those ability users. If we want to truly protect and control the base, we need to be stronger than them. They will not succumb to a group of young leaders like us. Lalo na at hindi pa awakened ang ilan sa atin" I said with great importance. I glance at Pres and Andrea. Because the two of them are not yet awakened. They both hold important positions in the base.

Andrea who were out for a few months and encountered cruelty did not awakened.  This makes me confused. Why other people awakened easily? Why others don't?

I understand Lyka, but Andrea?

"Boss, why don't we filter those people then?" Nick suggested.

"That's impossible." Seb countered, "Unless there's an ability user who can see one's character like Damien who can tell who lies"

The groups eyes widened and brightened.

I just smile knowingly.

"That's a good idea! Damien can help us choose people. Ang galing mo Seb.." Excited na sabi ni Isen.

"This is not enough" Seb shook his head. Napangiti ako at napatango "The process is  very time consuming. Sabihin na nating, initially wala silang balak na masama and Damien used his ability to detect lies from them. We will consider those people we chosen as 'good' but what about after that? Masisiguro ba nating walang mag babago? Of course Damien can use his ability again. Can he check more than 5,000 people one by one? And if he can, can he check them everyday?"

Their eyes dimmed.

Hindi ko mapigilang mapa-palakpak.

"He's right. Damien is out of the question. But i appreciate Seb's opinion. At least there's still smart one in the group"

Their faces sank and pouted.