Chapter 1 - Emerald Start

Update Schedule!

Monday - 5-6 PM PST (3k-10k+ Words)

Side Stories! - Anyday - Every 2-4 weeks. (5~10k words).

(Please convert PST to whatever your timezone is.)

"You know, this would have been a really good dinner without all the peas" The scary-eyed boy looked at the mountain of peas that have still yet to be eaten. His clothes were old, and his hair was messy. The not-so-proud son of Kenchi and Naoko, his name? Natsuki Subaru.

"There are times you have to step up as a man, Subaru, and this time is one of them" Kenchi nervously lectured Subaru. Of course, he didn't want to eat the peas! If only he would take the bai-

"Then why isn't the actual man of the house eating them?" Subaru quipped back. Hell, even if it's the last thing he does, he will not be finishing those peas all by himself. Nope, no way, not happening.

"I'm allowing you to prove your worth as a ma-" Kenchi tried to pathetically excuse himself but was cut off by a son that was taking none of it.

"You said it yourself yesterday, I should enjoy my youth, so I'll take my sweet time becoming a man," Subaru spoke calmly. Subaru then proceeded to push the dish full of peas to Kenchi. He tried his best to hold off a smug smile and put on his poker face. "Families like us are rare nowadays, you know, so I'd like to take advantage of that and grow slowly. Refinement over speed after all" Subaru said in his final remarks to his father.

"My, my, now isn't time to be arguing, today was a long day of sitting down, so I'm aching to get some sleep" Naoko off handily mentioned. Today was the first day of June, and Naoko always somewhat shuts down on the first day to have energy for the upcoming month.

"I don't think sitting down all day is something you should mention when you say you're tired," Both of them said in unison in a father-like son moment. They turned to look at each other and then giggled. A giggle eventually turned into a laugh.

"Are you guys making fun of me? You know it's not good to make fun of family, what if I disappear one day?" Naoko lightheartedly suggested. She liked making others laugh, but she was always a little petty when someone made fun of her.

"Come on Mom, we didn't mean to laugh, it was just good timing!" Subaru responded, conveniently ignoring the part about her disappearing. He would rather not think about it right now. Subaru has been struggling with loving himself for a while now, and would rarely even look at himself in the mirror, so his emotions are already at max with just himself. If his mom went missing he might start breaking down.

"I wouldn't let anyone try to take you away, even if you tried to take yourself away," Kenchi replied confidently. Pulling off one of his signature smiles.

"I can't tell if you are trying to flirt with me, or want to kidnap me, but I'll take the latter," Naoko said. Putting one of her hands to her cheeks with a blush.

Subaru decided it would be best to excuse himself from dinner after his parents started flirting with each other. Subaru knows best that his parents can last forever when it comes to flirting.

Subaru stepped into his bathroom to try and wash his hands. "This sink is always so annoying, it feels like I have to twist it more every single time I want to wash my hands." Subaru thought to himself. The sink has been slowly deteriorating over time due to how hard Kenichi turns it each time he wants to use it.

"You know... it's been a while since I've looked at myself in the mirror. I should check if I need a haircut... yeah a haircut." Subaru eerily said to himself. Subaru hasn't been going to school recently and was getting more depressed as each day went on. He has been avoiding looking at the mirror so far because he didn't want to remind himself that he was in this body, but he still believed that he owed his parents at least the pleasure to see him look half decent.