chapter 138

It's Travis and Karina's wedding today. I'm in the room with my sister while a group of people get her ready. Ryujin is with Travis because that guy likes to steal her from me.

"You look beautiful" my mom compliments Karina.

"Yeah, you're alright. Not as beautiful as me on my wedding but you're alright" I tease her.

"I still can't believe you got married before me. You had kids before me, married before me but I might get a divorce before you" She jokes.

"Yeah right. As much as you get mad at Travis, you love him."

"I'm happy that you two are doing well" my mom says.

"As a mother, I can finally breathe knowing that you two are in good hands" she smiles.

"Thank you for coming, mom" Karina smiles back.

"I wouldn't miss my daughter's wedding. Also, my grandkids adoption ceremony."

We did get a date for the adoption ceremony. It's a week from now so Ryujin has been in a good mood since we got the letter in the mail.

"Is dad upset that I didn't keep his name or that the kids are not keeping his name?" I ask.

My dad is also here for the wedding but he's out helping with everything else to make sure everything is ready.

"No, it's your decision whether you want to keep your name or change it. Him and I don't get a say to that. I'm sure you have your reasons as to why you decided to change it."

"Is Travis upset you're not taking his last name?" My mom ask my sister.

"No, he could care less. I did tell him though that I'm just too lazy to change every single document I have if I change my name and he understood" Karina chuckles.

"Why did you decide to take Ryujin's name instead of keeping yours?" My sister ask.

"A few reasons, when I pictured my family, I always pictured we would all have the same last names. Back then when I thought I would be marrying man, I already decided I would take his last name. Since I ended up marrying Ryujin I just decided to take hers. She didn't force me or anything. She even suggested that she take mine."

"But this may seem dumb" I pause for a bit to try to gather my thoughts.

"I also saw it as me starting fresh. Yeji Hwang was someone who was beaten emotionally and verbally until there was nothing left of her. I wanted to put that past me behind and focus on improving the me now. Me taking Ryujin's name and becoming Yeji Shin is more of just a symbol or a reminder that I'm not weak anymore. I'm not someone who's gonna let people mistreat me. I won't be the Yeji that's afraid of not being love but be the Yeji that knows the type of love she deserves."

"For once I'm happy of who I am. I'm happy with the life I have. I'm happy that I can encourage my kids to be who they are without feeling like a fraud. I'm happy that I can teach them to have confidence in themselves and not have to rely on Ryujin for that."

Both my mom and sister smile proudly at me.

"I'm curious though. Have you and Ryujin ever fought before?" My mom ask.

"I mean we've had disagreements. Every couple has that but nothing major. I think we're so in tune with each other that we naturally just become considerate of each other's needs and it works for us" I answer.

Karina is done getting ready and it's almost time for her wedding to start. She does some final touches and we head out so she can go to her spot.

I walk to the front first then Eva is the flower girl while Ervin and TJ are the ring bearers.