Chapter 9 | The Marshal (Part 1)

Cordelia sits on the bed, finishing up her sewing. While Din and the Child had gone out to get information on other Mandalorians, she had decided to stay and work on cleaning their weapons and repairing clothes.

The ramp opens and she sets Din's shirt down before leaving the room to join them. She smiles when she sees him and steps into his open arms.

"Did you get your information?" She asks, resting her chin on his chest plate to look up at him.

"Yes. He said there's a Mandalorian on Tatooine. In Mos Pelgo." He replies, moving towards the armory. He returns his weapons and turns to see Cordelia laying the sleeping Child in his hammock above their bed. 

He smiles and moves towards her, slipping his helmet off. He reaches her and spins her around. She smiles and brushes the hair off his forehead. He leans down and kisses her as she leads him towards the bed. She pulls away and pushes him so he falls down on the bed.

"I know you're hurting from the fight, so lay down and let me take off your armor so we can cuddle." She tells him.

"What fight?" He asks. She raises an eyebrow and he sighs. "Fine. There was a small fight, but it's not a big deal." She rolls her eyes as she takes his boots off.

"Din, just let me take care of you." Cordelia sighs. He nods after a moment and takes his gloves off. She quickly finishes with the rest of his armor until he's left in his underclothes. As soon as she sets the last piece of armor down, Din grabs her hand and tugs her into bed. She laughs and rests her head on his chest.

"I love you." Din says, running his fingers up and down her spine. She leans up and kisses him, pulling back and cupping his face.

"I love you too." She replies, rubbing his cheek with her thumb. He smiles, shifting so their foreheads touch, and pulls her closer. She tucks her face into his neck and presses a kiss to his skin. She sighs. "I should go get the lights." She mumbles.

"I got it." He replies. He sits up, grabs one of his gloves off the floor and throws it at the switch on the wall. The lights turn off and she laughs as he lays back down.

"Lazy." She teases. He pinches her side before pulling her back to his chest. He wraps his arm around her middle and buries his face in her neck.

"Goodnight, Mesh'la." He whispers. She smiles and rests her arm over his, lacing their fingers together.

"Goodnight, Riduur." She responds, letting her eyes close. Din presses one last kiss to the back of her neck before going to sleep.

***

Din lands the Crest in the hangar and joins Cordelia near the ramp, where she waits with the Child. He leans in for a quick Keldabe Kiss before opening the ramp. He rests his hand at the small of her back as they walk down together.

"Sorry, gang. Come on. You know he doesn't like droids." Peli tells her droids. They begin walking off.

"May as well let them have at it. The Crest needs a good once-over." Din says, looking back at the ship. Cordelia smiles at him, glad he's giving Peli's droids a chance.

"Oh! So, he likes droids now." She says. "Well, you heard him. Give it a once-over." The three move towards the ship with their tools. "I guess a lot has changed since you two were last in Mos..." She trails off as Cordelia shifts, bringing the Child into view. "Oh! Thank the Force!" Cordelia laughs as she hands the Child to Pali as he coos. "This little thing has had me worried sick. Come here, you little womp rat." She laughs as he coos. "Looks like it remembers me." She looks at the couple. "How much do you want for it? Just kidding. But not really." She says. "You know, if this thing ever divides or buds, I will gladly pay for the offspring."

"I doubt he will anytime soon, but if he does, you'll be the first one we talk to." Cordelia says. Air hisses behind them as one of the droids loses control of some tube of the Crest.

"Hey! Oh, jeez! Watch what you're doing up there. He barely trusts your kind. You want to give all droids a bad name?" Peli scolds. Cordelia chuckles and moves away from Din's side to help them. She gently pulls the tube off the droid and reattaches it to the ship. She crouches down so she's at their level.

"I promise he's not gonna do anything." Cordelia tells the droids. She smiles. "You wanna know a secret?" She asks. The droids lean closer and she chuckles. "He acts all tough on the outside, but he's really just a big softie!" She tells them with a dramatic gasp. They chatter amongst themselves for a moment. "You three got this. Don't worry." She reassures before rejoining Peli and Din.

"Where is Mos Pelgo? I'm told there's one there." Din is saying as she reaches them. She slips her arm around him, and he rests his hand on her back. Peli eyes the interaction but decides to wait and corner Cordelia later to question her.

"Oh. Boy, I haven't heard that name in a while." Peli responds.

"It's not on any of the maps." He says.

"That's because it was wiped out by bandits. Once the Empire fell, it was a free-for-all. I didn't dare leave the city walls. Still don't." She says.

"Could you tell us where it used to be?" Cordelia asks. Peli nods and turns.

"R5! Bring the map of Tatooine." She shouts. R5 chirps and slowly moves towards them. "No, take your time. Seriously." She says. She turns to Din and Cordelia. "You just can't get good help anymore. I don't even know who to complain to." 

Cordelia chuckles as R5 reaches them. He beeps and projects a map of Tatooine in between the group.

"This is a map of Tatooine before the war. You got Mos Eisley, Mos Espa, and up around this region, Mos Pelgo." Peli explains, pointing to each area on the map.

"I don't see anything." Din says, looking at the region of Mos Pelgo.

"Well, it's there. Or at least, it used to be. Not much to speak of. It's an old mining settlement. They're gonna see that big hunk o' metal long before you land." She tells him.

"You still have that speeder bike?" He asks.

"Sure do. It's a little rusty, but I got it." Peli says. She points to it and Din starts towards it. Cordelia moves to follow, but Peli grabs her arm before she can get very far. "Explain." She says.

"Explain what?" Cordelia asks. Peli rolls her eyes.

"You and Mando! When did that happen?" She asks. Cordelia chuckles, then gives a brief explanation without giving too much away.

"Married?! Oh, I'm happy for you two." She says when Cordelia finishes.

"Thanks, Peli. We're really happy." Cordelia says, looking over at Din, who is finishing getting the speeder bike ready. Peli groans.

"You're so in love it's gross." She says, making Cordelia laugh. The Child coos at the sound and reaches for her. She smiles at him and takes him from Peli. She looks at Din again and sees him leaning against the speeder, watching her.

"I think he's ready for us. I'll see you soon, Peli." Cordelia says. Peli nods and heads over to her droids and the Crest as Cordelia walks to Din. "You didn't have to get the speeder ready by yourself. I could've helped." She says when she reaches him. He pulls her closer until she stands between his legs.

"I know. I wanted to make sure you had time to talk with your friend. It's not a big deal." He replies. She sighs and rests her forehead against his helmet.

"When you say things like that, it makes me wish we were alone so I could kiss you." She says. He chuckles and slips his hand into hers.

"Come on. We have work to do." He says.