Ninety-One

[|]

I felt like I could barely breathe, almost as if I was choking as I struggled to open my eyes that were oddly too tight for me to part. I fisted my hands and heard faint voices around me, which made me remember what had happened.

I screamed while opening my eyes then raised my body, only to be pushed down by a force. I was seeing blurry images as I was forced back onto something soft. I shut my eyes, hoping to clear the blurriness in my eyes. After a count of ten, I opened my eyes and saw a white ceiling with a small fan rotating from it.

I looked to my side and saw a window, showing me nothing but a tall lit building. It was dark outside which was confusing because I remembered it being the day when I was at the golf course.

"Jackie?"

I sharply turned my head and saw Lucas. His eyes were dull, bags around them and some stubble growing around his jawline. His hair was disheveled as he leaned over me. I looked down at myself and saw I was laying on a hospital bed with a blue blanket covering my legs.

"What happened?" My voice was rough to my ears. "Why am I in a hospital?"

Lucas sighed and started stroking the crown of my head. I was confused when I saw sadness shade his face.

"How are you feeling?" He whispered and moved his hand to my face where he began to caress with the back of it.

"I don't know. I feel weak. But can you just tell me what I'm doing here?" I asked and the door opened. I shifted my gaze to the foot of the bed where the door was and furrowed my eyebrows at the sight of Maddy.

There was no difference between her and Lucas. Her hair was in an uneven bun on top of her head. Her face had no makeup, her clothes were plain simple sweatpants and a shirt that barely fit her body. When she traced my face with her dull eyes, I could sense the sadness in her. They both made me scared as my confusion grew.

"You're awake. Thank God," Maddy said and rushed to my side. She climbed the bed and held my hand, then tears brimmed her eyes.

I looked from one person to another yet no answers from them.

"What is it?" I asked and they exchanged a look.

"First of all, how are you?"

"Bullshit! Tell me what's happening for God's sake!" I barked, yanking my hand out of Maddy's hold.

"Maddy, excuse us," Lucas said and she nodded before leaving the room.

Lucas sat on the bed and grabbed my hand. He leaned down and kissed my knuckle before sitting straight.

"Jackie, the gathering at the golf course was two days ago and..." He paused to lick his lips. "Something happened, Jackie. You had eaten something, right?"

I thought back to the events of that day and a flash of Mrs. Kingston giving me a big bowl of food filled my mind and I nodded in response.

Lucas nodded. "Someone found you in a pool of blood and you later fainted in her arms."

I started to feel my heart pound at the memories of that day. The pain I felt and the bleeding. I automatically placed my hand on my stomach as I started feeling restless, fear taking over my body.