Twenty

Blaise Beck-Day Past

Blaise Beck-Day
Past

It was something her mother's mother had done for her.

And Sage had started to do it for me too.

My fifteenth birthday would be the best birthday to go down in the history of birthdays. Firstly, it meant I only had six months until I could get my permit to drive. Second, it meant that it was a day for me to relax. And thirdly, it was a day to spend with those whom I loved and who I hoped had loved me back.

I had twenty minutes until I turned fifteen to be more specific.

Twenty minutes left of fourteen-year-old me. When I turned fourteen I was still lanky. I had no muscles on my bones, I was shorter, and I didn't know how to part my hair in the right direction. Now, as I'm closing out the fourteenth chapter of my life– I look so different than when I started it.

When I wake up in the morning, I slowly climb out of my bed now having to stretch my aching muscles because football practices during the off-season had become exceptionally hard. It didn't help that I was growing multiple inches throughout the night.

Within the last year, I had jumped from five foot six to a near six foot one– and suddenly everything was visible. The top of the refrigerator, the top shelf at the grocery store, I mean, I barely fit in Sage's treehouse.

Everything about me was different now.

I was becoming older, I was developing way faster than I thought I would. My arms weren't boney anymore– they were defined. Along with my stomach which had small curvatures around the abdomen.

My voice was deeper. My muscles were bigger and more defined. I was taller. I wasn't ugly. But for some reason, I still didn't feel good enough for someone like–

"Blaise! Come sit around the fire! We're going to play games!" Baker shouted. I stood above the deck that overlooked the cabana that held the fireplace that many kids in my grade surrounded. The Williams backyard was anything short of amazing, to say the least.

They had an Olympic-sized swimming pool, a large garden, a large pond, a hot tub, a fireplace, and Sage's treehouse that overlooked everything. My eyes flickered to the treehouse that was a good twenty feet off the ground.