chapter twenty-seven

"Good morning, state champ." Indigo smiled, walking into Sevyn's hospital room with breakfast in her hand.

"Good morning." Sevyn shook his head, smiling.

Every time he looked at her, he regretted everything wrong he had ever done to her; he couldn't believe it took him getting shot to see Indigo was going to hold him down. He promised himself he'll make up everything to her; he wanted to marry her.

"I'm going to marry you." He said, catching her off guard.

"Don't be weird, and I just got here before I walk back out." She joked, making him smirk.

"You heard what I said."

"Can we get back together first before you talk about marriage?"

"We been back together; we actually never broke up in my eyes." He shrugged, making her roll her eyes. "Just a pause."

"Let's eat breakfast." She smiled, handing him his platter while opening hers. "How are you feeling today?"

"My blood pressure dropped in the night, so they've been back and forth checking that. They keep pushing my discharge date back, and that shit is starting to piss me off; I'm ready to go."

"They're doing their job; if something isn't right, why would you want them to send you home?"

"I just wanna go to my brother's funeral tomorrow, man." He sighed.

"And we'll be there. It doesn't matter if I have to break you out of here myself."

"You gon drive the getaway car?" He chuckled, stuffing his face with pancakes.

 "Yep! Guns blazing!" She smiled, making him smirk.

"You so stupid." He shook his head. "You gon always make me feel better." 

"Always," Indigo confirmed as she pulled out her Macbook to go to Netflix so they could finish Stranger Things.

"Before we start, I meant to ask why you haven't been going to cheerleading practice?" 

"Because my boyfriend got shot." She scrunched her face up. "What am I going to cheerleading practice for?"

"Because you have to go to California in the summer, you need to practice before you go."

"I may not even go there; I haven't been feeling cheerleading."

"Indi, don't do that." He got serious. "If it's anything you love, you love cheerleading. Imma be good, and even if I weren't, I would've never wanted you to be miserable."

"Don't talk like that because you're good. Don't say what would've happened if you passed."

"I'm saying it because I wish Duece would've told me how to live without him."

"But I'm living with you."

"And if I didn't make it, I would've wanted you to live your life to the fullest, bro. I bought them tickets to the cheerleading shit in the first place because I believed in you, I believe you would've bought that shit home, and you still can. You going to Cali, even if I gotta force you there myself."

"Alright, I'll go." Indigo rolled her eyes.

"Stop acting like you're not excited." He smirked. "Imma comes to see you in Cali anyway; that was always the plan."

Indigo nodded her head, making him look at her; he could tell his statement was bothering her. She poked at her pancakes, not having an appetite anymore.