forty-nine

"Aunty Areum!" Jiah ran to the detective to hug her. Daeun worriedly scurried after her, "Be careful, Jiah! Aunty Areum is pregnant."

Areum laughed and sat back on the bench. Daeun had asked her to meet at a park nearby her house to talk about her future. Since Areum was married, she wanted to ask about her experience and whether it is true that it would go downhill.

"So he really said that? He doesn't want to get married?" Areum asked out of concern.

"I don't know how to react. I want a marriage. I want a family. And if my relationship with him isn't going anywhere then..."

"What are you going to do now?"

Daeun thought for a while, silently watching Jiah play around with her brother. "Sunghoon and I want different things. He just wants to date. I want a marriage. Maybe there's a reason why I lost contact with him before. Maybe he's not the one for me. I can't keep dating him if the relationship isn't going anywhere."

"If that's what you think then I can't force you. How about you call him and ask him properly about this topic. And you'll tell your opinion to him. If he doesn't have the same plans as you then you are allowed to do anything you want."

Daeun hesitantly glanced at her before dialling his number. She put it on speaker and waited for him to pick up the call.

"Hey! You're just in time. I was about to call you," he said in his happy voice. Her heart melted as soon as she heard his soothing voice.

"Sunghoon, I've done some thinking."

"What is it?" He asked. She glanced at Areum for assurance, receiving a nod from her. "Do you see us together in the future?"

"Of course."

"As a married couple?"

"Probably not. I'm not a fan of marriages."

Areum wanted to gasp out loud due to his shocking words. "Why would people want to get married? I mean, can't we just stay like this? Imagine getting married and then getting divorced. Divorce is harder than just breaking up."

"You wanna know why people get married?" Daeun stood up as her hand clenched around her phone. She felt anger rising inside her, "They do that to declare their love to the world. To let the world know that you belong to each other. To spend the rest of your life together."

He stayed silent on the other side of the line. She sighed and rubbed her temple with her fingers, "You know what? You and I both want different things. I want someone who wants to get married and have a family with me. If this is how you view your future with me then I'm afraid we can't be together anymore. I don't see us going anywhere."

She ended the call and sat back down, feeling upset. Areum patted her back to comfort her.

Jay and Sunghoon kept their eyes fixed on the phone in front of them. Daeun's words made them both lost for words. "I told you lying to her was a bad idea," Jay muttered.

Sunghoon frustratedly ran his fingers through his hair and looked at the ring box next to him. "We can convince her. I promise. Jake, Heeseung and I will help you," Jay said as he started calling Heeseung's number.

"There's no use. She ended our relationship."

"Not yet. She doesn't know the truth. God! We should've come up with a plan B."

Heeseung closed his eyes as he waited for Sunghoon and Jay in his car. He flinched in surprise when his phone rang and smiled when his wife's picture was displayed on the screen.

"Yes, sweetheart?"

"I just had a crazy conversation with Daeun. She wanted to end her relationship with Sunghoon–"

"What?!"

"Yes. Sunghoon kept telling her he doesn't want marriage and he told her he wanted to just date her. Probably forever."

"No! Daeun can't end things now!"

"Why not?"

"Okay, look," he exhaled heavily, "I'm waiting in the car for Sunghoon to come out of a jewellery store. He's buying an engagement ring to propose to Daeun! All the things he told her were just lies to surprise her!"

"Who in the right mind would lie about something like that? Is he stupid or something?"

"Trust me, Jay and I also said that."

"So when is he planning to propose?"

"Tonight! Jake will bring her to the hospital and we all will act like Sunghoon got into an accident."

"Okay that's also a stupid plan but I won't judge. I'll try to convince her not to leave him. Heeseung, fix this."

"Daeun."

"What?"

"Maybe Sunghoon has a lot of things to think about in his mind? You shouldn't end the relationship just like that."

"No, I'm just taking a break. Probably forever."

Areum frowned, "You can't run away!"

"Why not?" Daeun argued back, folding her arms. Jiah, who was busy playing with Jihoon, jumped at how loud Daeun's voice was. The little girl silently watched her aunts arguing, enjoying the show in front of her.

"Sunghoon is planning to propose to you tonight!"

"What?" Daeun asked in disbelief.

"What?!" Jiah yelled in surprise.

"He put on a show and lied to you the whole time because he wanted it to be a surprise. But now it's ruined. I shouldn't have convinced you to break up with him. And also, Heeseung has to start telling me what he's planning so that I don't ruin any of them!"

"Oh my God," Daeun held her chest, taken aback by the sudden information. "What should I do? I mean, I can't fake my reaction when he proposes later."

Jiah approached them both with a proud smile, "I have a better idea. How about we turn the tables and have him experience his plans."

Areum exchanged glances with Daeun, "You know what? That's actually a great idea."

"Sim Jiah, from now on, you will decide all the plans for me. Let's go. What should we do first?"