A New Day (The End)

April 29

Imperial Palace, Lithianburg, Crossnellyard Empire

In his office in the Imperial Palace was the new emperor, Jettis IV, on his 23rd day on the throne. He was looking at the morning's edition of the World Magic Telecommunications Company newspaper. The article began with the following headline.

"New Pope of Rovance, Venedikt Medulla. Minor Candidate Wins Upset Election."

Below the headline, the article described the results of the "Papal election," or "Carm Clavichord" that followed the resignation of Innocent III. Of the four candidates, Gregorio Bronchas, who had been considered a front-runner, was not elected, and Venedikt Medulla, who had been considered a minor candidate, won the election and was elected as the 54th Pope.

Behind the scenes, however, Venedikt's faction, backed by the Japanese government, were bribing voters. Using the power of money, Venedikt's faction used the electoral system to coronate a Pope who would be easy for the Japanese government to deal with, threatening Venedikt that if he made any strange move, they would report him to the Telecommunications Company for receiving funds. That was the goal of the Japanese government.

The Japanese would be blamed for providing funds for the bribe, but this was nothing compared to the damage that would be done to the Holy Rovance Papal State, which would suffer the stigma of having a bribe-elected Pope. The fact that the position of Pope, which must be "sacred," was bought with money is something that Venedikt's faction must never allow to be known to the outside world. However, he has obtained the top position at the cost of becoming Japan's de facto lapdog. After the war, the influence of the Head Temple over the "national power" has been greatly reduced, but the faith of the "individual" believers on the Juperia Continent has not disappeared. The position of Pope itself is still a "golden tree."

After reading the newspaper, Jettis folded the newspaper and puts it on his desk. Then he called an official to give him an order.

"Two days from now is the day when the Japanese Army will completely withdraw. Can you tell the Japanese Army to call the doctor... Tomokazu Shibata, here?"

"As you wish."

After receiving the emperor's direct order, the official left the room. Later, a doctor belonging to the Red Cross was informed through the Self-Defense Forces that he had been summoned by the emperor, and Shibata immediately went to the Imperial Palace from the field hospital where he was staying.

. . .

Throne Room, Imperial Pavilion

Shibata stood in a suit on the red carpet, which bears the footprints of the SDF personnel who raided the Imperial Palace. He was waiting for the appearance of the person who had summoned him.

'What an audience in the throne room...'

He looked around the throne room, which he has not visited for a long time. When he was summoned by Fasta III when he used to work as a 'part-time court physician,' he usually had an audience in his office. On either side of the carpet a few remaining guards stood looking. Since the Imperial Domain Army under the emperor had been almost completely destroyed, as a temporary measure until the army is rebuilt, the region's security is being maintained by a nearly intact 140.000-strong Miket Army, from which 50.000 are being dispatched from Miket Knighthood.

As he stood there for a moment, a young man appeared from the side of the throne at the far end of the room.

"Sorry to keep you waiting, Mister Tomokazu. The Central Assembly meeting has dragged on."