14. Moonlight

Never before had Akaashi's father shown so much kindness. It hadn't been noticeable since the two stayed behind closed doors but now it was more evident than ever.

Akaashi's mother was ill and needed help walking anywhere. She also seemed to be extremely emotional and wasn't allowing herself to cry as she needed. She'd been given something while in the nurse's area of the castle that Akaashi was sure terminated the pregnancy. His father had saved her life.

"Keiji."

Akaashi looked at Amaya. "Hm?"

Amaya pointed to the entrance of the dining room. Akaashi looked up and saw his mother leaning into his father, both taking slow steps. His mother buckled and was lifted back up. "Easy Masumi... slower steps."

She smiled tiredly. "I'm tired. I apologize."

"Don't apologize." He helped her sit down and Akaashi felt a tug in his chest as he watched him kiss her hair. Why was he being so kind only now? What had actually happened?

"Mama?"

His mother looked up. "Keiji... hi honey."

Akaashi smiled at his mother. "Hi mama. How are you feeling?"

Satoru plopped in his seat next to Akaashi and Akaashi's father glared at him. "Satoru have you learned no manners? If you are to rule alongside Keiji you will learn them."

Akaashi looked at Amaya, shocked.

Amaya leaned forward. "Father when is the next meeting?"

"This Saturday. I expect that wound to be bandaged by then Keiji."

Akaashi nodded. "Yes sir."

Masumi looked to her husband. "Honey..."

"Is something wrong?"

"I feel very tired now."

He gestured to a servant. "You. Get me a bench. And a blanket."

Masumi stood slowly and her husband held her. She didn't stand for long, the bench being brought quickly before both the king and queen sat on the bench. She was held close and comforted all throughout breakfast.

Akaashi watched his father carry his mother to her room and leave her room to go get Sara and the twins. His heart ached as he watched his father hold his little sisters, wondering how he wasn't worthy of that. Amaya stood behind him in the doorway.

"Keiji?"

"Yes?"

"Go in there."

Akaashi stepped into the room and leaned by Sara, gently reaching her hair behind her ear. "Hey..."

"Keiji!"

Akaashi's father looked over. "Where is Satoru?"

"He is changing."

He nodded and lifted one of the twins. She was crying, clinging to her father. "Mama will be okay."

"I love mommy! I don't want her to die!"

"I love her too. Very much. That's why she is resting."

Akaashi looked away. Why did they get him and he never did?

Akaashi looked back and Amaya was sitting by the doorway, the other twin in her arms. A servant rushed in, gasping for air. "Sir it's your wife. She's asking for you!"

He rushed out of the room and Akaashi grabbed his other sister. "Easy, easy. It's okay."

****

Akaashi laid down, covering up carefully. He had been brought dinner and no one was allowed to come out of their rooms at the moment. Instead of reading like normal he just decided to go to bed, too tired to have to sit and listen to maids and guards rushing by.

The door moved slightly and he sat up as the window opened. Bokuto came through the window and smiled at Akaashi. "Hi there sweet stuff!"

"Hi?"

"Are you trying to sleep? Sorry."

"It's okay. I'm not going to sleep much anyways."

Bokuto closed the window and jumped on the bed, hugging Akaashi tight. "Why is that?"

Akaashi turned over. "My mother is dying."

"What? How? She seemed so healthy."

"I think she had a child but something went wrong. She hemorrhaged and had to be taken care of."

"What does that mean?"

"It's a type of bleeding. Here, I'll show you." Akaashi got an anatomy book from his shelf. He pointed to the uterus on a female body. "This is a uterus. It holds a baby or a fetus. When a mother is unable to have a child the body will reject the baby and she will miscarry. Which means the baby will not live. Sometimes a mother will bleed a lot inside and it'll come out of her and she needs to get medical attention."

"Oh that must be so difficult to handle..."

"It is." Akaashi put the book aside and turned to Bokuto. "Will you please check that the door is locked?"

"Of course." Bokuto kissed Akaashi's forehead. He double checked the lock before cuddling Akaashi, kissing the back of his neck as he lay.

"I can't sleep."

"What do you want to do?"

Akaashi turned over. He sat up and backed up slowly. "Come with me."

Bokuto got up and followed Akaashi to the door. Akaashi opened the door and peeked out to the guard. "I'm sorry but I'd like to leave my room. Is that okay yet?"

"No sir. Until we know your mother and father will allow it, you are not allowed to leave."

Akaashi nodded. He closed and locked the door before going to the window and opening the windows. Moonlight poured through the glass and he chuckled. He held out his hand. "Dance with me?"

"Oh Keiji I don't know how to dance..."

Akaashi gently took hold of Bokuto's hand. "It's not that difficult."

Bokuto chuckled nervously. "Okay."

Akaashi bowed slightly. "Start with a bow and then stand up, one holding the waist and the other holding the shoulder."

Bokuto bowed and stood back up, holding one of Akaashi's hands while the other held his waist. Akaashi just swayed with him for a second, staring at him. "Why do you do that?"

"What?"

"Stare at me."

Akaashi just shrugged.

Bokuto rolled his eyes. "Alright Mr. Prince." Akaashi swayed them farther around the room, trying to enjoy this moment. Bokuto held him to his chest, sighing softly. "Relax Keiji. You're stressing."

"I don't want to lose my mother."

"I don't want her to die either but we can't just keep thinking about it."

Akaashi nodded. They stayed swaying for a bit, silent. Bokuto finally spoke up in worry for his lover, realizing how late it was getting.

"Keiji. Don't you think it's time for bed?"

Akaashi nodded. He started to let go but Bokuto lifted him from the ground and set him in bed. He got under the blankets with him and covered Akaashi up. Akaashi laid against Bokuto's chest, exhausted.

"This will all be okay in the morning."

Akaashi nodded. "Tomorrow I would like to train with you. Do you have a sword besides the one I own?"

"I'm almost done with yours."

"Good."