5 ★ Friends?

࿔₊°༺★༻࿔₊°

POTIONS LESSONS took place down in one of the dungeons. It was colder there than up in the main castle and would have been quite creepy enough without the pickled animals floating in glass jars all around the walls. Crystal hated this class the most.

Snape, like Flitwick, started the class by taking the roll call, and like Flitwick, when he finished name calls, his gaze turned to Harry and then to Crystal, who was sitting alone on the last desk in the corner.

"Ah, Yes," he said softly, "Crystal Calisto and Harry Potter. Our new -- celebrities of Hogwarts. "

Draco Malfoy and his friends Crabbe and Goyle sniggered behind their hands.

"You are here to learn the subtle science and exact art of potion making," he began. He spoke in barely more than a whisper, "As there is little foolish wand-waving here, many of you will hardly believe this is magic. I don't expect you will really understand the beauty of the softly simmering cauldron with its shimmering fumes, the delicate power of liquids that creep through human veins, bewitching the mind, ensnaring the senses... I can teach you how to bottle fame, brew glory, even stopper death -- if you aren't as big a bunch of dunderheads as I usually have to teach."

He said the last words looking at Harry and Crystal for some reason. Hermione Granger was on the edge of her seat and looked desperate to start proving that she wasn't a dunderhead.

"Potter!" said Snape suddenly. "What would I get if I added powdered root of asphodel to an infusion of wormwood?"

Harry was caught off guard at the sudden question thrown at him. Hermione's hand had shot into the air.

"So you don't know." said Snape with a small smirk as if he expected it, but Harry regained his composure.

"Er -- A-Asphodel and wormwood make a powerful sleeping potion." said Harry slowly gaining his confidence back.

"And what is it called?" Snape asked with a sneer.

"I don't know that," Harry said.

"It is known as the Draught of Living Death." Snape said with a satisfied smirk and then turned to Crystal who looked uninterested, lazily turning the pages of her book.

"Miss Calisto shall now answer this for us as she does not seem to find this class important," Snape taunted, "Miss Calisto, where would you look if I told you to find me a bezoar?"

"It's a stone taken from the goat's stomach." Crystal answered instantly.

Snape pursed his lips and asked her again "And what is a bezoar used for?"

"Cure for most poisons," a short and on-point answer from Crystal again. Hermione disappointed brought her hand down. Snape narrowed his eyes at her then turned to Harry again.

"Potter! What is the difference between monkshood and wolfsbane?"

"Monkshood and wolfsbane, they are the same plant... " Harry answered nervously, not sure if it was correct.

"Tut, tut -- not good enough answer again. Fame clearly isn't everything." said Snape caught him, "Calisto! What name does the plant go by?"

"Aconite." Crystal answered rapidly in a calm tone. Hermione disappointedly, brought her hand down again.

"Potter! What is -- "

"I'm sure others would also like to have an opportunity to answer as well, Professor," said Harry pointing at Hermione whose hand was already raised before the question came. "I think Hermione knows all the answers, why don't you try her?"