Chapter 23: Brethren

Chernobog

COM RAD E.

The voices seemed to have died down in intensity ever since they came. Thanatos soon would realize they weren't alone, figures donning in the same outfit appeared around them one by one, like they were drawn to him.

"Where were you created, comrade."

Thanatos: Wha... What?

"From where were you created, I have never heard of Ursus fusing a Demon with a child before. Where?"

Thanatos: I... I...

Despite his appearance, the man who first appeared before him seemed to understand that he didn't know anything. He placed a gloves hand on the boy's hair and awkwardly moved left and right, like cleaning a window.

Thanatos: Are yo-you a Reaper a-a-as w-well?

"I do not know what this 'Reaper' you speak of. Is it what you call yourself?"

Thanatos: We call ourselves that...

"Hm. If you call yourself a Reaper, then we are the Emperor's Blade."

Thanatos flunched at the name, somewhere in his fogged memories, he knew who they were, his mother often told him stories about them as a way to scare him to keep him in line. But what he didn't expect was to think that the legends were true, that they were real.

DANG ER. DAN GE R. DA NGER.

DO. NOT. FIG HT.

They were warning him, and he knew better than to stubbornly refuse when the Tsar's most powerful group of people surrounding him.

"Comrade. I see that you reject the power that had been bestowed upon you. Join us, and we will teach you how to accept them, to use them accordingly to your will."

It was a good deal, he would be able to control whatever is in hm, maybe even develop more abilities like his teammates, any man would accept it without a second thought. But Y/n made a promise to Izanagi, that he would watch over his team while she was gone.

OFFER. CA N' T. REFU SE.

Thanatos: I c-can't... just leave everyone I know beh-behind...

"I see... Then the next time we meet, I am afraid we have to kill you."

Thanatos: I-I can u-und-understand that.

"Goodbye then, child."

Like lightning, they were gone a moment later, traces of black mist permeating where they once stood, just like lightning leaving a fire after.

Lungmen

Y/n: Shit! Shit! Shit! Shit! SHIT!!!

Mephisto: Te-Teacher, we can't just leave them behind!!

Faust: Do you have any other ideas, Eno? It was their choice to stall the Rhodes Islanders.

Mephisto: I just don't think leaving them behind is the best option we have here!

Y/n: We can't waste time brainstorming on how to save everyone! It just doesn't work like that!

Faust: Agreed. Eno, they pushed themselves off the nest so we won't starve, we should take advantage of that instead of wasting it.

Mephisto: Ugh, I haven't heard that metaphor is years...

Y/n: Both of you shut up, we need to save our energy for running. Eno, you planted your Arts into them, right?