chapter thirteen

The next morning, Dustin, Robin, Susie, Steve, and Max all returned to Eddie's shed after having left for the night. Eddie jumped when they came inside. 

"Delivery service." Dustin smiled as he held up two bags with food. Eddie exhaled in relief. 

Eddie sat down in the boat with a box of cereal while everyone gathered around him. 

"So we got, uh, some good news and some bad news." Began Dustin. "How do you prefer it?"

"Bad news first, always." Eddie replied. 

"Alright. Bad news. We tapped into the Hawkins PD dispatch with our Cerebro, and they're definitely looking for you." Stated Dustin. "Also, they're, uh, pretty convinced you killed Chrissy."

"Like 100% kind of convinced." Max added. 

"And the good news?" Eddie inquired.

"Your name hasn't gone public yet." Robin replied. "But if we found out about you, it's only a matter of time before others do too, and once that gets out, everyone and their shallow-minded mother is gonna be gunning for you." 

"Hunt the freak, right?" Eddie's voice cracked. 

"Exactly." Confirmed Robin.

"Shit." Eddie muttered to himself. 

"So, before that happens, we need to find Vecna, kill him, and prove your innocence." Said Dustin. 

"That's all, Dustin? That's all?" Eddie doubted. 

"Yeah, no, that's pretty much it." Dustin shrugged. 

"Listen, Eddie, I know everything Dustin is saying sounds totally delusional, but we've actually been through this kind of thing before." Assured Robin. "I mean, they have a...a few times." Robin gestured towards Susie, Steve, Dustin, and Max, who all nodded.

"...and...and I have once." She continued. "Mine was more human-flesh-based, theirs was more smoke-related, but bottom line is, collectively, I really feel like we got this." She concluded confidently. 

"Yeah, see, we usually rely on this girl who has super powers." Steve began. "But, uh, those went bye-bye, so..."

"So we're technically in more of the--" Susie interrupted. 

"Kinda..." Steve spoke up again.

"Brainstorming phase." Max finished.

"Brainstorming." Steve repeated as he looked to Max and snapped his fingers.

"There...There's nothing to worry about." Dustin spluttered. Steve scoffed and forced a fake smile. Eddie didn't seem convinced.

All of a sudden, they heard sirens wailing. 

"Shit." Steve panicked.

"Tarp." Urged Robin. "Tarp. Tarp."

Eddie quickly pulled the tarp over himself and hid in the boat. Meanwhile, the others ran to the window, watching the police cars quickly drive right past the shed, along with an ambulance. 

"Are you guys thinking what I'm thinking?" Dustin inquired.

"I'll get the car ready." Steve ran out. Susie followed after him while the others told Eddie that they were leaving.

"Can I sit in front this time?" Susie requested. 

"Uh-uh. No way." Steve refused.

"Why not?" Susie whined. Steve ignored her and took the driver's seat. She rolled her eyes and made her way around to the passenger seat  but when she tried to open the door, it was locked. She groaned.