14: Frickin' scary sh-

Everyone was exhausted when they arrived back at the Wheelers that night. Max had been told under strict instructions not to take her headphones off, having Kate Bush on repeat just in case Vecna tried to strike again. Alex was tired, but sleep refused to take over, her mind racing quicker than she could process.

~~

Alex volunteered to take first watch on Max, the others needed sleep more than she did anyway, Alex could just down some energy drinks or something in the morning.

The girl moved across the room of sleeping bodies to sit by Max at the desk. Alex sat on the chair, offering Max a little smile as she did so. Max slid her headphones off, connecting her hands with Alex's, pulling the girl to sit beside her on the floor of the basement.

"Your roots are growing out," Max stated, twirling her finger through Alex's hair. The other girl nodded, she had been meaning to deal with that, her natural dirty blonde reaching her eye level now.

"Yeah, I'm thinking of just letting it grow out," She responded, letting the ginger girl lie back onto her. Alex had no idea how Max wasn't just in a corner crying, the girl had literally almost died earlier. "Your amazing, you know?"

Max turned to look at her confused, "I am?"

Alex hummed, "Yeah, i mean you escaped that thing, and even if you don't think so, your like the strongest person i know," She spoke softly, rubbing little circles on the back of Max's hand.

"You helped," Max said back, Alex shook her head,

"No way, i was just panicking and screaming as if that would help," the taller girl responded, looking back, she probably could of handled it a little better

"No, i mean it, you helped me." Max took a breath and paused, "When Vecna, was trying to kill me or whatever, i thought of my happiest memories and well..." she looked into the other girls emerald eyes, "you were a prominent figure in them,"

Alex looked up at Max surprised, she thought the girl was still a little mad at her and everything that happened in the graveyard was just a spur of the moment thing. "I'm just happy your safe, i wouldn't care if your happiest memory was with fucking Jason, as long as your alive," she said sincerely, Max laughed a little at her words,

"Really? Jason?"

"Okay, maybe i would be a little mad," Alex confessed, laughing along with the girl.

Max smiled at Alex, it was the most sincere she could muster since everything had happened, something about Alex just being around seemed to make everything better. 

The ginger leant across and planted a kiss on Alex's lips, the girl was shocked initially but melted into it, putting her hand on the back of Max's neck, pulling her closer.

~~

"Dustin?" a voice crackled from the boys bag on the floor beside Alex, making the girl blink awake. "Dustin?" it says again.

Alex digs through the boy's bag to get the walkie out, realising who the voice belonged to, "Eddie?" she clarified, her voice hazy from sleep.

"Ay, baby Harrington! Not seen you in what, two days, it's been a real blessing," he said through the device, Alex muttered a string of swears at him, making the boy on the other end cackle as he continued, "Anyway, aside from my whole hiding from the law thing, yeah, I'm gonna need a refresher on food and all that."