chapter fourteen

When Robin, Susie, and Nancy finally made it to the school, they hurried inside. They met with Dustin, Steve, and Max in the hallway. They pointed their flashlights at a blank wall.

When they asked about what was going on, they were told that Max had seen something strange: a grandfather clock.

"It was here. Right here." Max spoke shakily.

"A grandfather clock?" Questioned Nancy.

"It was so real." Max exhaled. "And then, when I got closer, suddenly I just...I woke up." Her voice broke.

"It was like she was in a trance or something." Dustin described.

"That's what Eddie said about Chrissy." Noted Susie.

"Exactly." Dustin nodded.

Max turned around to face the group. "That's not even the bad part."

They all returned to Ms. Kelley's office in order for Max to explain to them what she had found out.

"Fred and Chrissy, they both came to Ms. Kelley for help." Max began while Robin sat at the desk, examining the files set on the table.

"Uh, they were both having headaches, bad headaches that just wouldn't go away. And then...then the nightmares. Trouble sleeping. They'd wake up in a cold sweat. And then they started seeing things." Max sounded like she was holding back tears. "Bad things. From their pasts. And these visions, they just...they kept on getting worse and worse, until eventually...everything ended."

"Vecna's curse." Spoke Robin.

"Chrissy's headaches started a week ago. Fred's, six days ago. I've been having them for five days." Max stated. The group could feel their hearts sink to their stomachs.

"I don't know how long I have. All I know is that, for Fred and Chrissy, they both died less than 24 hours after their first vision." Max said tearfully. "And I just saw that goddamn clock, so..." She breathed shakily. "...looks like I'm gonna die tomorrow."

All of a sudden, there was a distant clang that startled everybody. Susie jumped, her hand quickly reaching for Steve's, though she hadn't noticed until after. Both of them looked down at their hands, then pulled away.

"Stay here." Steve sighed, making his way out of the room to find out where the noise came from. He took a lamp with him as a weapon. Despite his request, they eventually followed after him down the dark hall.

They heard another clang, followed by rapid footsteps approaching. Steve held up the lamp, ready to swing. All of a sudden, Lucas ran out, causing everyone, and himself, to scream.

"It's me!" Lucas shouted, holding up his hands.

"Lucas?" Nancy yelled in disbelief.

"Jesus!"

"It's me." Lucas repeated, out of breath.

"Jesus, what's wrong with you, Sinclair?" Steve spoke out angrily.

"I'm sorry." Lucas still struggled to catch his breath. He placed his hands on his hips.

"I could've taken you out with this lamp!" Steve added.

"Sorry, guys. Sorry." Lucas repeated. "I was...I was biking for eight miles." He said, panting. He put up his finger. "Give me a second. Shit. We've got a code red."

"What?" Susie furrowed her eyebrows.

"Dustin." Lucas approached his friend. "I've been with Jason, Patrick, and Andy, and they've gone, like, totally off the rails." He explained. "They're trying to capture Eddie, and they think you know where he is. You're in terrible danger."