Chapter One

Harper 

Four and a half years ago.

I stare out of my hotel window, watching the sunset. Tonight was meant to be a good night, but like any other birthday, it gets pushed to the side.

I understand why I truly do. Who in the right mind would want to celebrate a mistake’s birthday? But how is that my fault?

I’m just a constant reminder of the day everyone’s life fell apart. A reminder that my dad didn’t want me.

A tear falls, but I don’t know why I know the drill. I don’t know why I thought today would be any different.

The hotel door opens, and a little hope makes its way into my heart. Maybe my sister didn’t forget.

“Sorry, Harper, don’t stay up. I’m going out with some friends.” She winks, and I know what she means. She’s getting laid.

“Ok,” I give her a sad smile, trying my hardest not to let it get to me. “Why are you all dressed up?” It’s then it must hit her as her eyes go wide.

I look down at my jeans and the nicest t-shirt I own. It’s not like I’m that dressed up. It’s just the only nice outfit I have.

“Oh shit. Here’s some money. Go out and have a drink. It’s not like we’ve ever spent your birthday together anyway, is it?” She throws some money on the coffee table before walking into her massive bedroom.

I think about packing my shit up and leaving, but what’s the point? This is my first time here. I don’t need her to make my night fun. I’ve spent plenty of birthdays alone.

Well, every birthday. If it wasn’t for the nanny I had growing up. I don’t think I would have ever received a gift before. She’s the only woman that has shown me, love.

A text comes through, and I instantly know who it is. I smile as I read it.

Doris- Happy Birthday, my sweet girl. I miss you every single day. Keep that pretty smile on your face for me; I hope you go and celebrate whilst in Rome. Don’t lock yourself away. Xoxox

The only woman who deserves the title of mum. I remember when she got sacked. That day still makes me cry.

All because Adriana caught Doris telling me she loved me and never to forget that. The fight that happened that night broke my heart.

Doris tried to take me with her when she got sacked, but it never happened. We still speak every day, and it makes my life a little better.

I send a text back, telling her I’ll come and see her when I get home. I wait for Holly to come out of her room. The last thing I want is for her to ask me questions about where I’m about to go because then I’ll have to tell her the truth that I’ll be walking around Rome like a loner alone.

A couple of minutes later, she walks out looking beautiful. “You look pretty,” I say to her. I hope when I’m thirty, I look exactly like her.

“I do, don’t I.” I laugh because that’s the one thing I love about her. She’s so confident. I wish I were like her. Then maybe my father will look at me the way he looks at her.

“Have a good night, Holly. You deserve it.” I say to her, holding the tears back. She smiles at me before walking out of the hotel door, not even wishing me a happy birthday.

I run to the peephole to make sure she’s gone before I make my way to her room to nick a dress; there’s no way in hell I can go out in these jeans and this t-shirt.