The Battle of New York

{Chapter Thirty-Four}

Amber walked beside Steve as they made their way towards one of the jets, they were both dressed ready for battle

Amber walked beside Steve as they made their way towards one of the jets, they were both dressed ready for battle. Steve in his usual patriotic attire and Amber in her indigo body suit, "So, captain, where are we headed?"

"Stark Tower."

They entered the jet, Clint, Natasha, and Abby follows closely behind. The SHIELD agent that had been working on the jet stood, his back straight seeming like he wanted to appear intimidating as he stood before America's hero and spoke, "You guys aren't authorized to be here."

Steve sighed, staring the young man down with a look that made Abby giggle as he replied in a tired voice, "Son, just don't."

Clint moved forward towards the pilot's seat, Natasha following to be co-pilot. Abby moved to sit on one of the benches on the quinjet. The young girl removed her jumper, leaving her in a red vest, and rolled it up to use as a pillow. Steve smiled slightly at the resting girl before moving his gaze to Amber. The blonde had her head leaned back resting on the wall of the jet her eyes closed as she sighed loudly. As though she felt his eyes on her, she opened one of her eyes to look over at him.

He smiled slightly at her before talking, "So, Abby's mom, you knew her?"

Amber shrugged glancing over at the young girl, "Not really. Sarah stopped working here when Abby was two and opened a cafe. I started working here five years ago. She and Clint were really close though, they were partners. He and Sarah's brother Stephen are Abby's godfathers."

Steve nodded, "And her grandmother is Sandy?"

Amber smiled at him realising why he was asking these questions, "Sandra and her husband, Michael, worked for SHIELD. Three years after the war, Michael got in touch with Howard Stark after he had graduated from University. Michael had studied chemistry and nuclear physics and contacted Stark for an internship. Stark had worked with his brother who died in the war. He met your sister Sandra in 1955 through Peggy Carter and then three years later they were married.  They had their son Stephen in 1964 after six years of marriage. Sarah was a surprise born eight years after Stephen. At this point The James family had grown close to the Starks, Sarah and Tony grew up together, it was no surprise to anyone when they started dating. When they were dating Sarah had already started working for SHIELD but her cover was journalism, in 1999 she was sent on a mission in New York and had to leave Tony, a month later she found out she was pregnant and left SHIELD." Steve looked at the Barton woman with wide eyes, making her chuckle, "I have a photographic memory and I like to do research on the people I'm going to be working with including you and Tony since your families are connected through Abby her family background was included. It was all included in the file we gave you when you agreed to come work with us, did you not read it."