[ 012 ] a discovery of a lifetime

CHAPTER TWELVEXII

CHAPTER TWELVE
XII.      a discovery of a lifetime
[ season 2, episode 8 ]

          Okay, so . . . turns out the Demogorgons were real. Definitely real. Steph saw it with her own eyes, the blossoming mouth, the razor sharp teeth, the slimy body. The inhuman squeal. That could only mean one thing ── the rest of Steve and Dustin's tale of the Upside Down was absolutely, inexplicably not a lie. From the girl with superpowers, to the laboratory, to the sadistic creatures lurking in a world exactly like their own only much darker and colder, flipped. It was real.

Which meant Steph's theory had to be, too.

She walked alongside the group, existing somewhere completely different. Her body was moving against her own will, pushing her into the depths of the woods, toward the danger lurking somewhere farther. And Steph . . . she was absent, lodged in the deepest crevices of her own mind, rethinking everything she thought she knew about her extended family.

It had to be the truth. There was no other explanation other than chance. Everything added up.

"You're doing that thinking thing again, Miller."

Steph involuntarily jerked back in shock, clutching her chest. Her heart lurched, quickening it's rhythmic beating, hammering against her ivory ribcage. However, once she realised it was Steve and there was nothing to be frightened of, Steph's nerves eased massively.

She scoffed in response to his statement, "So you're watching me now?"

"Sure. Can't keep my eyes away from you."

He was teasing. She knew that ── the smirk on his face was insufferable. The playful lilt in his voice was irritating. Steph scowled, "Do me a favour and shut up."

"Woah." Steve raised his hands, looking sidelong at her through the suffocating darkness. "That was harsh ── even for you, Miller. You okay?"

"Yes."

Unconvinced, Steve arched a brow. She felt pressured.

"No."

"Aha! I knew you were lying." Steve exclaimed, pointing the torch at a cluster of trees in the distance, his chest seizing with fear when he scrutinised the formation that looked strangely alike to the Demogorgon from last year. It's just trees. He took a deep breath, composing himself. "You're too quiet for your own good. Come on, spill."

She blew a sharp breath out from between her lips, distrustful. Her torch flickered in the darkness, and she slammed the object against the palm of her hand violently, forcing the waning light to maintain itself.