Chapter V: Strife

~.~

"Human hearts are full of strife. It's a fallen world, my dears. We can only do our best to establish safe havens where we can."

~.~

[ July 21st, 2005 - Thursday]

"So, what did you find out when you time-leaped?" (Y/N) blurted out, stopping at a red light alongside Takemichi.

As scheduled, the pair were now headed to the second MS in order to convince Mikey of calling off the battle between Toman and Moebius. And as troublesome as that sounded, (Y/N) saw no other option.

Her original plan had failed; both Mikey and Draken practically saw her hypertechnical assumptions as nothing more than a joke. And now, it was time for Takemichi to step in. "Well... Naoto and I went looking for Osanai in the future. Apparently, after he left Moebius, his whereabouts ended up with him working at this crappy construction sight." (Y/N) raises a brow; looking at the blond over her shoulder.

"...—But that wasn't the weirdest part." He adds. "He looked pretty shaken up when we mentioned Draken's murder on August 3rd. Even so, he swore to God that he wasn't the one who did it..."

(Y/N) turns back to gaze up ahead; contemplating this information. "Then who did? To me, it sounds like the bastard was afraid of something..." She pauses. "...—Or someone."

Takemichi nods in agreement; remembering the terrifying expression that draped over Osanai's face. "I agree but... he never gave us a name, he just kept talking in riddles before he stormed off; all shuddering and sweating."

(Y/N) gags at the mental image. "That's fucking gross," She commented; relating another sigh.

'Even so... that leaves us with an even bigger problem. Osanai may not be the mastermind behind all of this shit after all...'

"So, what was your conclusion after the interview? Did he let anything slip?" (Y/N) added; narrowing her lids nonchalently.

Takemichi falls silent, recollecting the horrid conversation. "Well... by his wording, I can humbly say that there's definitely someone else pulling the strings, someone scarier than Osanai." (Y/N) scoffs as her body stiffens, "You're kidding... Well, that's comforting," she comments sarcastically.

'An unknown mastermind...? There's no way...!' The thought alone made (Y/N)'s stomach turn inside out. She couldn't help but feel the hairs on the back of her neck stand up.

Through this, she leans forward on the handlebars of her motorcycle; resting her cheek in her palm. "A secret mastermind, huh...? Any more info I should know about this, Mr. Junior Detective?"

Sadly Takemichi nods once more, further irking (Y/N)'s nerves. "Well, from what Naoto and I put together? This unknown figure appears to be working from within Toman, and they're scheming against the gang to turn Mikey and Draken against each other."

(Y/N) jolts; raising another brow, "You mean...— someone within Toman is trying to cause a fraction between those idiots?! Why?" Takemichi shrugs softly. "I don't know yet... But what I do know is that the fraction started on this very day. Which is why we're gonna prevent that, here and now."

The female nods slowly. "And the backup plan? In case things go south..." She inputs.

Takemichi purses his lips; seemingly disturbed. 'Back up plan, she says... can we even say that we have one...?'

Takemichi disregards the possibility. "If Mikey refuses, then I can at least ask him to put the conflict on hold until after August 3rd," he humbly replied; staring up at the traffic light as it turned green again; signaling for the blond to hold onto her waist once more.