forty

Early the next morning, they went over to the house from which the letter came from, allowing Pope to knock on the door since that letter was directed to him

Early the next morning, they went over to the house from which the letter came from, allowing Pope to knock on the door since that letter was directed to him. And after a few tries, it opened and a man stood there with a small smile.

"You must be Pope."

"Um, are you Mr. Limbrey?"

"Ms. Limbrey was expecting you yesterday."

Oh. It was a woman that sent the letter. Interesting.

"We got in late, uh, sorry about that."

"Yeah, she was, uh, real upset when you didn't show up." He looked at the group, "She also expected you to come alone."

"I mean, these are, my uh, friends. They helped find the Royal Merchant too-"

"The instructions were explicit. They can stay outside."

"We're kinda a package deal man-"

Pope cut JJ off, "JJ, it's okay. I got this. I'll be good."

"We'll be right here." Kie said.

"Keep the car running." Pope whispered, looking at Iris and she nodded.

JJ, Kiara and Iris waited in her car as Pope was inside. And then they saw him get walked out, and he glanced at them before they pulled him towards the garden area.

"Weird." Iris muttered.

"If Limbrey is legit, then Ward and Rafe get arrested and maybe Sarah gets all the gold? Okay, does that look voluntary?" Kie spoke her thoughts aloud as Pope was pushed along by the man.

"It did but now, that would be a negative." JJ muttered.

"Come on." Kie said.

"Wait, hold on, hold on. They're going into the alley."

"Go around back?" Iris asked.

"Yeah, we'll meet them on the other side." JJ agreed.

Iris put the car into drive and slowly began to drive around the block, but they saw nothing.

"Where did they go?" Kie asked, slightly stressed.

"What if they went underground?" JJ asked, "Cause in CHUD, when they took people down into the sewers, it would turn the humans into humanoids cause of the radiation. And then all of a sudden-"

"JJ! Focus! That doesn't even make any sense." Iris said, interrupting him.

"Right, sorry. Do you see anything?"

"No." Iris and Kie replied at the same time.

"I'm going to check." JJ said, throwing the door open as Iris halted to a stop, "Keep the car running!"

"Oh my god." Iris groaned as they watched JJ hop over the solid brick fence.

"What the hell is he thinking?" Kie muttered as they both looked out the window, searching for the boys.