Prologue

Prologue

"Are you done packing your things, Ilaria?"

I nodded at my Mommy's question. We're busy packing because we are going to the Philippines to attend an extravagant party. We got invited by a family friend with other well-known families in the corporate world.

To be honest, I don't want to socialize with other people. It's just that my Mommy and Daddy always force me to attend events like those parties. That I should interact with them so I have connections.

But with that kind of thinking, isn't it like I'm using people? I already told Mommy about this but she said that that's what is like in the industry. Ruthless and merciless. They shouldn't know what your next tactic may be.

I sighed and went out of my room. A big glass chandelier welcomed me as I went down our stairs. The maids were busy helping my parents pack their stuff and cleaning the house. Inihabilin ni Mommy sa aming mayordoma ang bahay upang bantayan ito habang kami ay nasa Pinas.

I don't know when we will be back in France. I only know that we will be staying in the Philippines for good. We have properties there and a company to manage. For almost seven years here in France, living in another country will be hard for me because of the adjustments.

As I went outside our garden, I felt my phone vibrating. Napangiti ako nang makita ang aking pinsan na tumatawag.

"Sylvie!" I waved at her as I turned on my camera.

"Hi, couz!" she chirped. She's currently blending some fruits and adding syrups.

My cousin, Sylvie, owns a cafe. Well, technically, it's her parents but she will be taking over it after. Sa murang edad ay nakahiligan na niyang mag-bake at gumawa ng drinks. Mahilig din siyang manood ng cafe vlogs for inspiration.

"Done packing?" she asked.

"Yup! I've got five suitcases and five duffel bags in total."

Nasamid si Sylvie sa aking sinabi. Her eyes widened in shock when I told her how many bags I will bring. I've got a ton of clothes! What did she expect?

"Pwede ka ng magtayo ng sarili mong boutique dahil sa dami ng damit mo," pang-aasar niya.

I frowned. "I would but my parents don't like the idea. I'm the heiress of our company. I should be focusing on that."

"Are you going to be happy about it?" she asked seriously.

I pursed my lips. "Hmm. I guess I'll learn how to love the things that Mommy and Daddy want. Besides, I can still strut like a model sa mga events. Strut with confidence and style!"

Seryoso ang pagkatitig ni Sylvie sa akin. Sa lahat ng aking mga pinsan, siya ang pinaka-close ko. She knows my deepest, darkest secrets since we were toddlers. Nagkahiwalay lang kami noong five years old ako dahil sa hindi inaasahang trahedya.

"You know I'll support you on everything, right?"

I nodded and smiled. After that, we talked about other things and how she is excited to see me. She wanted me to try her creations so I'm also excited to see her and taste her drinks.

Mabilis kaming nakarating sa airport. We already boarded the plane going to the Philippines. Mommy informed me that my dress for the party is ready and stylists were just waiting for us.

Of course, they didn't ask what dress I want. I secretly sighed. They always want it their way. If I butt in, ako pa ang magkakaroon ng kasalanan.

The tragedy changed my parents. That's what I think because they changed the way they treated me, too. Not that they treated me well back then, but it got worse.