Chapter 20

"Y-You have a son?" I asked through a breathless whisper while looking intently at him.

He's staring back at me. For a split second, I saw fright in his eyes other than darkness and anger. But just before I could ponder it, he pulled his gaze away and looked down the floor.

"Yes."

What else do I need to know about Chase? Why do I have this feeling that there are so much more to him that I need to be aware of? I feel like there is always something for me to discover with him every passing day.

I mean, I know it's normal to have a child. But having a child means there is a mother. Is he on a relationship with the mother of his child? Is he already married? Then what does that make me?

"Don't jump into conclusions yet, Allison." he said like he could read the thoughts in my head.

"D-Do you have a wife?"

He looked at me before his lips lifted for a naughty smirk.

"What if I have, would you leave me?"

I laughed sarcastically. "What kind of question is that, Chase? Of course. I was not raised to be a home wrecker—"

"You won't ruin anything, Allison. I'm not married neither committed to anyone else. . ." he said and breathed out, his caramel orbs drilling into mine. "At least not yet."

"So how did it happen?"

He averted his eyes from me again, stood up and slowly walked towards the window where the strong wind is coming in.

"It's just a one-night stand and I got her pregnant. As simple as that. We had an agreement that I would support my child financially. I'll be a father to our son without having a relationship with her. It's a done deal. Or so I thought . . ." he chuckled dryly.

As I sat on the bed and watched his bare back, I noticed his fists clenching. He's mad and I can hear it through his deep voice. It's like he's refraining himself from getting mad. Something was holding him back.

"She let me see my son a few times after she gave birth to him. A fucking few times, Allison. Until she decided to be with somebody else and bring my son with her. He hid my son from me for years and until now she hasn't allowed me to see him."

"Do you have any idea where they are? Haven't you tried hiring an investigator to look for them?"

"You think I didn't do that? During those years that I'm not allowed to see him I tried to look for them. I don't give a shit about the mother. She could be with anyone she wants for all I fucking care. I just care about my son. But the bitch knew how to play hide and seek."

"Was she the one who called you just now?"

He nodded but did not answer. It made me wonder why she suddenly initiated to contact Chase. What could be her reason? Isn't she hiding to Chase?

"For whatever reason why she called me after of so many years, she has to assure me that it has something to do with my son, Allison."

I honestly don't know what to say. I feel like I have to very cautious of my response because it might trigger something to him.

"H-How old is he, Chase?" I asked, not minding what he said.

"Four or five, I lost count."

I nodded even if he doesn't see me. I looked down my hands, clutching the white sheet for I don't know what to say anymore.

"How are you feeling about this, Allison?" he asked.

I looked up to him. He's still facing the sea until he turned around. Our eyes met.