Chapter 20

"I know it's hard to keep an open heart when even friends seem out to harm you"
-Guns N Roses

I was yet again awakened in the middle of the night by a nightmare. The same nightmare. My face was covered in sweat and my hands were trembling. I looked beside me, at the nightstand and grabbed my phone to check the time. It was a little past
three AM. I didn't even get four full hours of sleep, since I went to bed after midnight.

With a frustrated sigh, I got up and changed in some clean clothes. I wore an oversized t-shirt with some booty shorts and headed back to bed. I tossed and turned but I wasn't able to fall back asleep.

I layed on my back and stared at the ceiling, contemplating on what to do now. Feeling a bit thirsty I decided to get my ass off the bed and go get some water from the kitchen.

I silently exited my room and tiptoed down the stairs, not wanting to wake anyone up. Fortunately, Atlas and Matt had given me a tour of the house and I had started getting familiar with it. It's not my fault that it took me so long, this place is huge and direction is not my friend.

I arrived at the kitchen without waking anyone up and I smile triumphantly at my self. Not to brag or anything but I am awesome. Being tiny in a house full of giants has its perks.

I quickly walked over to the cabinet and grabbed a glass, with great difficulty may I add. Everything's so high up that I had to stand on my tippy toes to reach.

I filled my glass with cold water and drank the whole thing greedily. I was thirstier than I thought.

I was about to head back to my room when I spotted a bag of chips in the back of the cabinet I had opened, hiding behind the wine glasses. I narrowed my eyes and stared at it. We're usually not allowed to have junk food or 'garbage' like these in our home because, well, Anthony is a health freak.

I walked slowly towards it and took a look around to see if I'm still alone. I extended my hand to grab it but before I got a chance to even touch the bag, the front door opened and closed with a thud, startling me.

My eyes widened in horror because I thought that everyone was already home. I quickly closed the cabinet and started to head towards the exit, hoping to get to my room before being spotted by whoever that was that just arrived.

But when has luck ever been on my side? That's right, never. And it obviously had to be the brother that hates me the one who finds me roaming around in the middle of the night. It couldn't be Atlas or even Matt. Of course it was Ares.

I didn't even get a chance to exit the kitchen before he arrived and stood at the entrance, glaring at me.

"H-Hey Ar-" I began but was rudely interrupted.

"What the fuck are you doing here?" He slurred.

I narrowed my eyes at him. "Are you drunk?" I answered with a question of my own.

He glared at me. "It's none of your business"

He tried to take a step forward and enter the kitchen fully when he lost his balance and started swaying back and forth. I was quick to grab him by the arm and stabilized him.

I walked him over to a stool, where I sat him down and took in his appearance. He had a black eye and a basted lip. His knuckles were torn and bloodied.

"Jesus, Ares." I whispered causing him to look up at me. He narrowed his eyes but didn't say anything.

I walked over to the freezer and grabbed a bag of frozen pees. I placed it on the counter and then I ran up to my bathroom to get my first aid kit.