Hawai'i Headcanons

(I tried to keep this as accurate as I could and did my research, but I'm a white woman and human so if there are any Native Hawaiians reading this please tell me your thoughts and if I messed anything up. Also I know I didn't go completely into the history, I didn't want that to completely bog down the chapter, plus I'm not sure if I would need to add in some proper trigger warnings for that talk)

- Hawaii is much older than the states and Gov. She's over a thousand years old, so you can imagine the sass she gives them if she ever has to interact with them.

- I'm not saaaaaaying that Alaska likes his women mature and experienced buuuuuuuut.

- Although I am sad to say Alaska and Hawaii are not together officially. In the videos Hawaii wears her flowers over her right ear, which in modern Hawaiian customs means she's single. But that don't mean we can't say that they may be pining hmmmm

- Hawaii's auntie and uncles are obviously not related to her. They're elder native humans who she has a close relationship with. She's humble and smart enough not to let something like immortality get in the way of respecting her elders.

- She's like that very old mentor figure in movies, the ones that are still young at heart and only play at being the old mentor figure.

- She's very involved in her Native communities. Celebrating with them, going to get togethers, supporting them, educating them, probably a lot of her inner circle know her status as Hawaii. She strongly believes in being an active member of your community.

- Hawaii actually gets along nicely with the American territories: American Samoa, Puerto Rico, USVI, Northern Mariana Islands, and Guam. She feels a kinship with them since most of them were scooped up around the same time as her, and they are in similar statuses, even though some might say she has it better because she is a state. She also tries to keep in touch and in good relations with Polynesian islands and nations.

- Obviously is a pro surfer. It's a very freeing experience for her and she can wipe the sea floor with Florida and California, the other two main surfers of the states.

- Spends a lot of time on the sea in general. She likes to go outrigger canoe paddling and sailing. 

- Incredibly athletic in general.

- When she first came into contact with Westerners she had to deal with several illnesses that incapacitated her for a short time, she probably died from at least one of them.

- Her relationship with Gov now is uncomplicated, she hates him and wishes he would stop treating her like shit. But, back when she was a Kingdom they actually had an amiable relationship, even if the haoles were still annoying back then.

- But then the Hawaiian League fucked everything up and turned her into the Hawaiian Republic while they waited for America to change hands, since Grover Cleveland wasn't into the Imperialism thing. It was fucking awful to watch Gov, who in interactions before was nice and respectful-and had even defended her when her nation was first taken over although not even that lasted-, suddenly turn around and annex her even though she was a sovereign nation. Despite being a personification and the very land they stood on she was treated like a second class citizen. So yes, she fucking hates Gov and she's not changing her mind about that. She didn't change her mind when he apologized in the 90s, and she's probably never going to change it.

- While she loves fucking with Gov in a fun way, she will sometimes remind him that she is much older than him and is a frightening force of nature. She can be extremely intimidating.

- Was probably forced to work on the plantations at some point, although that probably did not last long.

- Has a lot of fighting experience. Some from her thousand plus years of life, but also from her time as a kingdom and fighting for the US. Hawaii has the largest concentration of Military bases in the country, so she has had to fight in their wars quite a bit, specifically in the Pacific Theatre. 

- Has become a crack shot with a gun. Though she doesn't use it that much nowadays.

- Has a complicated relationship with religion. Was a staunch believer until the early 1800s when the native Hawaiian religion waned in popularity and people began to willingly turn their backs on it. So much of her culture was tied up in her religion and that was something she could not easily abandon herself. She did convert to Christianity, but she still practiced her old religion and traditions in secret, even when they were outlawed. She now practices both her original religion and Christianity openly, and recognizes other religions. She's dabbled in Buddhism recently. If you asked her what religion she was she would describe herself as a Omnist, believing in all religions.

- With different cultures coming to her islands and integrating she has tried to learn a little from each, even sometimes the haoles. She's started to interact with their religions-such as Buddism-, go to celebrations of their holidays, and made efforts to interact with these people.

- Speaks multiple languages so she can communicate with other people in her communities. Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Filipino, Spanish, and Portugese are just some of them. She doesn't speak English that much unless she is talking to people who don't know those languages.

- She does often forget words and will go through five languages trying to figure it out. That's bilingualism for ya baby.

- Part of Hawaii's views on being a personification is that she is supposed to preserve information for all time. She has an incredibly sharp memory and nowadays makes sure to not only memorize everything, but also to write it down on both paper and online. Keeping parts of herself alive even when the world is trying to destroy it is her hobby.

- Florida is the first of the lower forty-eight for her to really like. I imagine California would have made an attempt to be her friend, perhaps multiple, but thus far has been unsuccessful.

- A master navigator, although she easily gets lost when in a car and will frequently fight the GPS.

- Obviously can dance hula, but usually prefers to do it in private, or with Natives she is comfortable with.

- She has a beautiful singing voice, and plays multiple instruments. When you're as old as her you have a lot of time to practice.

- Spends a lot of time terrorizing the tourists. That's on canon. This can get her in charge with her local government, but she doesn't care.

- Has a good sense of humor. Particularly likes to make dirty jokes and innuendos. That's also canon.

- Personifications can get tattoos although they will eventually fade. Hawaii has had a lot of tattoos in her life, and she makes an effort to get the ones special to her touched up every once in a while so they don't completely fade.

- She likes to experiment with food and learn new recipes. Also if you tell her you are hungry SHE WILL FEED YOU GOOD. Expect a full course meal.

- Also quite crafty. Has lots of experience obviously making weapons, ships, and helping build houses, but nowadays she puts most of her work into cute crafts and redecorating her house. Loves to play with colors and styles.

- Has a large garden filled with flowers, no crops. It's a good place for her to calm down, listen to the birds and watch the bugs. If the ocean is where she feels her most free, her garden is where she feels the most content. Her favorite flower is the hibiscus.

- An environmentalist and proudly so. Goes to protests and organizes meetings. Uses her platform for the good of her state.