Chapter 5

Five

Nico Buys Happy Meal For The Deceased

  At least I got a good night’s sleep before the quest, right?

  Wrong.

  That night's door led to the stateroom of the Princess Andromeda. The windows were open on a moonlit sea. Cold wind rustled the velvet drapes.

  Luke knelt on a Persian rug in front of the golden sarcophagus of Kronos. In the moonlight, Luke’s blond hair looked pure white. He wore an ancient Greek chiton and a white himation, a kind of cape that flowed down his shoulders. The white clothes made him look timeless and a little surreal, like one of the minor gods on Mount Olympus. The last time I’d seen him, he’d been broken and unconscious after a nasty fall from Mount Tam. Now he looked perfectly fine. Almost too healthy.

  "Our spies report success, my lord," he said. "Camp Half-Blood is sending a quest, as you predicted. Our side of the bargain is almost complete."

  Excellent, said a cold and cruel tint blue voice. It wasn't deep and piercing as Percy had described Kronos, but I knew it was him. Once we have the means to navigate, I will lead the vanguard through myself.

  Luke closed his eyes as if collecting his thoughts. "My lord, perhaps it is too soon. Perhaps Krios or Hyperion should lead—"

No. the voice was quiet but absolutely firm. I will lead. One more heart shall join our cause, and that will be sufficient. At last I shall rise fully from Tartarus.

  "But the form, my lord…" Luke’s voice started shaking.

  Show me your sword, Luke Castellan.

  A jolt went through me. I realized I’d never heard Luke’s last name before. It had never even occurred to me.

  Luke drew his sword. Backbiter’s double edge glowed wickedly—half steel, half celestial bronze. I’d almost been killed several times by that sword. It was an evil weapon, able to kill both mortals and monsters. It was the only blade I really feared.

  You pledged yourself to me, Kronos reminded him. You took this sword as
proof of your oath.

  "Yes, my lord. It’s just—"

  You wanted power. I gave you that. You are now beyond harm. Soon you will rule the world of gods and mortals. Do you not wish to avenge yourself? To see Olympus destroyed?

  A shiver ran through Luke’s body. "Yes."

  The coffin glowed, golden light filling the room. Then make ready the strike force. As soon as the bargain is done, we shall move forward. First, Camp Half-Blood will be reduced to ashes. Once those bothersome heroes are eliminated, we will march on Olympus.

  There was a knock on the stateroom doors. The light of the coffin faded.

  Luke rose. He sheathed his sword, adjusted his white clothes, and took a deep breath.

  "Come in."

  The doors opened. Two dracaenae slithered in—snake women with double serpent trunks instead of legs. Between them walked Kelli, the empousa cheerleader from my freshman orientation.