Chapter Thirteen

Lianne

It felt like I was in a daze. I wasn't conscious but I wasn't unconscious either, between the two states actually. I could faintly hear people screaming around me but their words and voices sounded foreign to my ears.

I wanted to talk, mostly tell them to shut up, that they were worsening my headache but I was unconscious again before I could.

When I woke up again, I could barely feel my face. It was big and puffy, my eyes and lips being the biggest parts.

I felt drained, weak and sick to my stomach. I waited a while before trying to move my limbs to make sure I wasn't paralyzed. I moved my arms slowly, feeling as if the bones were breaking with my movements.

Groans escaped my sore throat as I managed to open my eyes, almost blinded by the bright lights. I could barely see. I suspected my eyelids were swollen as they could only open a little bit.

I steadily managed to pull myself into a sitting position, glancing around the room. I was the only one in the basic hospital room thankfully not hooked up to any machines. At least that's what I could make out.

Nausea settled deep in my stomach as I stayed on the bed, my breaths laboured. A nurse came in and noticed me awake, calling a doctor in immediately.

What she was saying was a blur and everytime she touched me sent a dull pain through my body. I was so happy when she let me go but unfortunately, I was back to laying down.

I could feel the vomit making it's way up my throat slowly as my mouth filled with saliva. I was barely able to bend away from the bed before whatever was in my stomach came out on the doctor's shoes. I was out like a light immediately after that.

The next time I was awake, I was definitely better than before. I could see a lot better and and I had a lot more energy. My stomach was mostly fine, probably because I had puked on a doctor's shoes, it still had a small ache to it but it was bearable.

I pulled myself up again, glancing around the room. As I saw before, it was the same ould hospital ward save for the bouquet of flowers by the window. I couldn't think of anyone they could be from but they looked familiar. Soon, my attention was drawn away by the person walking into the room.

"Lianne, you're awake." My mother said with a relieved sigh, approaching the bed with open arms.

She wrapped them around me, rubbing my back while I stayed still. She pulled away and squeezed my shoulders. "You gave us such a scare."

"What happened?" I asked gruffly, coughing after.

She opened a bottle of water and handed it to me. I took a few gulps before giving it back to her.

"I'm not exactly sure." She answered. "Your father and I got a call that you had to be taken to the emergency room and came as fast as we could. They say you had an allergic reaction."

My brows creased. "But I didn't take any coconut." That was the one thing I was allergic to and did well to stay away from it. Last time I had any, I was six and that was because I shared some with a friend in school.

Since then, I avoided anything containing coconut, juice, bread, creams and oils 'cus they gave me terrible rashes. I couldn't fathom how I would've come in contact with any, not to talk of ingesting some.

"Well, doctors said you did. They tested your vomit and said there was a small trace of it." She explained

I shrugged. "I don't remember taking any."

"Maybe you didn't realize." She concluded, sitting by me. "How're you feeling."

"Terrible." I deadpanned, touching my cheek. "Can I have a mirror?"