Fourth of July Deal-Steve Harrington

Steve Harrington and I have a complicated and confusing past. Over the years, we've flirted and even admitted our feelings for each other, but something always came up. Every time we tried to take things further and have the conversation that naturally comes next, something big always happened.

After high school, I couldn't take it anymore. I sat through our graduation, my eyes barely not on Steve. He caught me staring and smiled. When I didn't return his smile, it dropped into a frown. There was an after-party but I didn't go.

About forty minutes after the party was scheduled to start, someone knocked on my window. I pushed aside my curtain and sighed when I saw Steve smiling at me. I opened my window but didn't move aside for him to crawl through.

"What?" He smirked.

"If you're drunk," I sighed, crossing my arms over my chest, "you might as well leave."

"I'm not drunk," Steve laughed. His smile faltered when I still hadn't moved. "Y/N. . ."

"I don't know how much longer I can do this," I said, my voice dropping.

"Y/N, I know things have been. . ."

"Steve," I cut him off, my voice breaking. "The first time we confessed our feelings, Hawkins Lab interrupted. The second time, my grandfather got sick. The third time, Hawkins Lab interrupted again. The fourth time, my parents were going through their divorce. I don't think I can take a fifth disappointment, Steve."

"Y/N. . ."

"I think it's time we move on."

I started to close the window, but Steve grabbed my hand. "No," he said, sounding desperate. "Y/N, please. Just give me another chance. I promise, this time. . ."

"This time what?" I interrupted. "It's going to be different? We won't have something come between us? I'm tired, Steve. I'm tired of having my heartbroken."

"I never meant to break your heart, Y/N," he said quickly. "Please let me help you fix it."

"Steve," I stuttered. "There's no point."

"Yes, there is," he insisted.

"I'm leaving."

"Leaving?" He asked, his voice getting caught in his throat. "Where are you going?"

"We're going camping," I sighed, "for the whole month of June."

"Will you be back on the Fourth of July?" He asked instantly.

"Yeah," I shrugged. "Why?"

"The mayor is throwing this big Fourth of July Carnival."

"So?"

"I'll take you on our first date."

"Steve. . ."

"Please," he practically begged. "I promise I will be there. No matter what."

* * * * *

I tightened the strap on my Fourth of July sundress. It was a cute dark blue A-line dress with fireworks all over it. I slipped on my white sneakers and grabbed my red satchel. I checked my hair and make-up in the mirror for the fiftieth time.

It's been a month and tonight was the big Fourth of July carnival.

Steve had called this morning and left a message for me to meet him there around 8. I glanced at my clock, my heart jumping into my throat when I saw it was 7:30. I was paranoid and nervous so I decided to get there early.

We had agreed to meet by the Ferris Wheel. Since I had gotten here so early, I walked around. By the time I got here, everything was in full swing. People were running around, eating, laughing.

At 7:55, I finally allowed myself to head to the Ferris Wheel. I played with the strap on my bag as I waited. 8 o'clock came and went and nothing. The more time that went by, the lower my stomach sank.

I looked down at my watch, a sob getting stuck in my throat when I saw the time.

9:43

I had been standing here for almost two hours. I took a shaky breath, shoving the tickets I bought for the Ferris Wheel in my bag. I angrily wiped a tear that had escaped off my cheek. I rolled my shoulders and stood up straight. I held my head up straight as I started to leave.

"Y/N! Wait!"

I turned around and saw Steve sprinting toward me. I gasped when as he got closer, I saw his face covered in bruises and dried blood.

"What happened?" I gasped when he stopped in front of me.

"Nothing," he stuttered. "I'm so sorry I'm late."

"Steve," I said. "What happened to you?"

"Turns out, the mall was on top of a Russian lab," Steve chuckled. He looked down at his watch, his face dropping.

"Damn it," he mumbled to himself. "Y/N, I swear, I tried to get here on time."

He paused before adding, "But the fifth time, I was kidnapped by Russians."

"What?!"

I grabbed his face and immediately started looking over his injuries. Steve smiled as he reached up and grabbed my wrists but didn't pull my hands off of his face.

"I'm fine," he whispered. His eyes softened when he saw the tears building in mine.

"What's wrong?" He asked under his breath.

"I thought you stood me up," I said shakily. "I was standing here. . . I was so angry at you but. . . They were torturing you?"

He finally pulled my hands away from his face and pulled me into his chest. He wrapped me tightly in his arms.

"It's okay," he whispered. "I'm okay."

I looked up at him and gently grabbed his face. I stood on my toes and pressed my lips to his. Steve instantly reacted. He wrapped his arms tightly around my waist and started kissing me back.

When we were both out of breath, we slowly broke the kiss. We looked into each other's eyes, neither one us able to stop smiling.

"I'm sorry I was late," Steve whispered.

"It's okay," I chuckled as I snaked my arms up his chest and wrapped them around his neck.

"I mean it," he said, the tone of his voice slightly changing. "I won't be late again."

I laughed as he leaned down and kissed me again. I let out a small moan as he slipped his tongue into my mouth. We didn't care that we were at a carnival, surrounded by people, as we got lost in our kiss. I gasped, breaking our kiss when Steve slid his hand down my back and found my ass.

"Easy there, Harrington," I teased. "There are children present."

"We could go somewhere there aren't any," Steve chuckled. I playfully hit his shoulder, pushing him back. He grabbed my hand and pulled me back into his chest.

"What would you like to do first?" He asked, tightening his arms around my waist.

I reached into my purse and grabbed the Ferris Wheel tickets. He smiled as he took them from me. He grabbed my hand with his free hand and led me to the Ferris Wheel.

We rode the Ferris Wheel in silence, stopping at the very top. I smiled when the fireworks started. Steve wrapped his arm around me and pulled me into his chest. I lazily draped my arm across his stomach.

"I can't stop saying I'm sorry," he sighed. I leaned up and kissed his jaw. Steve instantly leaned down and kissed my lips. I broke the kiss, earning a small pout from Steve.

"Fifth time's the charm."