Chapter 11: Hug

Alaiya's POV:

I shoot up from my couch, seeing his eyes struggle to open, and I swear the earth stops spinning right then and there.

He's waking up.

Oh my gosh! He's waking up!

Noah hears the shuffling too, skyrocketing from his place on the couch to see if he's imagining it or not.

I rush outside the room to alert the doctor or nurse or whoever I can find since the doctor told me to do so whenever he's starting to wake up. The nurses all run in there, checking if everything's good while Roman tries to adjust to the light and all of his surroundings. I can literally hear my heart and soul thumping in my chest again, and it actually feels good this time!

~~~~

The doctor told us that they have to run some tests to make sure everything was okay and that all of Roman's vitals are looking good. I already texted our entire friend group and they're on their way right now.

"He's up!" Ivy exclaims, excitement and relief practically radiating off of her.

I nod anxiously.

"When can we see dad?" Autumn asks as Bethane hands her over to me.

"The doctors are just checking if everything's okay and then you'll be able to see him," I tell her.

She still looks worried, but we all are and I don't think that'll go away until we see for ourselves if he's okay.

Noah insisted that he remain inside the room for his son, and after all the words he used, I would be scared to say no to him which is why the doctors let him stay.

Now I know where Roman gets his vocabulary from.

The tests take about an hour before Doctor Zapata walks out of the room with his clipboard in hand.

"Everything looks good. But before any of you go in, I would like to warn you to not touch his head, don't be too loud, and make sure not to brighten the lights until we say so, or else it could affect his brain. He's healthy and we want to keep him that way," he explains. "Since he was in the state for only three days, no memory has been lost and he should be able to go back to his normal life after a while. No damage to the brain shows that he will have no trouble doing things he does regularly, but we'll keep an eye on it for any cases which may appear later on. We've talked to him and he does remember the accident, just not the coma."

He finally gives us the signal we've all been waiting for to go inside and simultaneously, we enter the room.

The second I see him sitting up, eyes open, getting his tube fixed by the nurse; my entire body feels like a million-pound weight has been lifted off of it.

"Dad!" I let Autumn who screams excitedly down to run into Roman's arms.

They instantly hug, Roman's eyes shut as if he's trying to relish in the moment with his daughter forever.

Don't cry, don't cry, don't cry.
Too late.

Tears are now falling down my cheeks freely, and right now, I don't really care if Autumn or anyone sees them. She has to see her parents cry, I just didn't want it to be when there was a chance that her father may never talk to us again.